Inconsistent logic of nonstock w/multi-site

I am wondering if anyone else has ran into this and/or what you think about it.

The general expectation is that when you add a part to a sales order, the release gets created in the current site, unless you have specified a different sales site on the Product Group (NA in this case). Even support insisted that is the way it works until I proved that isn’t true in the case of non-stock.

NonStock and Source Type = Manufactured:
Release is created in the current site and sets it make direct - ok makes sense.

NonStock and Source Type = Purchased:
Release is created in the current site, does not get marked buy for - ok makes sense because the part is not flagged buy for in part maintenance.

NonStock and Source Type = Transfer:
Release is not created in the current site. Instead it creates it in the Transfer Site. This makes no sense!!! If the source type is transfer order, then it should create the release in the current site which should then trigger a transfer order suggestion. It shouldn’t create the release to be directly fulfilled from the other site.

Can anybody convince me this logic makes sense? Anybody want to make a bet on whether they will tell me its working as designed?

That does sound incorrect. Only thing I can think of is if you have shared warehouses. Do you have any shared warehouses set up on your Sites?

Nope

I’m guessing here… and although this makes LOGICAL sense it is certainly a pain in the butt.

When the NonStock flag is set on a part that means there are no Inventory transactions and the part will ship directly from WIP, and the job will be Make To Order. So far so good.

Now throw a monkey wrench into the works by adding a different site… because a Transfer Order record will require Inventory movement… because you can’t have a part manufactured in Site B shipped from Site A without doing inventory stuff. Moving between sites means the job will be Make To Stock, the Transfer process will be PLT-PLT, the part will need to be received to stock in the shipping plant, and then shipped from stock.

But if you do non stock on a purchased part the inventory DOES still transact in that site (there is still a PUR-STK and STK-CUS transaction).

Good catch… call it in as a bug and see what they say.

I think I have a pretty good idea

Any takers?

Hell GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Some long-shot troubleshooting:

1. Are the parts all qty-bearing also, or all non-qty-bearing? (Should have no effect, but I’m curious.)
  2. Are the parts set up in all sites (PartPlant table, I mean)
    a. The real question is, is the part set up in the current site? (PartPlant table)

(I, too, have unresolved issues with non-stock.)

Yes they are quantity bearing
Yes set up in the current site - with the non-stock box checked. I am familiar with your issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t expect you to be wrong, but I just wanted to help you be thorough, for the sake of arguing with support.

It reminds me of a different situation, where if

• You are logged into site A and create a PO and add a part on a line
  • The part does not exist in site A (PartPlant table)
  • The part does exist in site B
  • Then the PO will put the release in site B

I mean, there is at least logic there, but (1) I don’t like it for how we operate here, and (2) at least warn a person when the whole PO is in site A except this one random line.

Have I made a BPM for that? No. I mean, they have to learn at some point, right?

I love your optimism