Increase UD Field Size

Any chance of being able to increase a UD field size limit?
I tried going it through Epicor, but received an error during a data model regen.
I tried changing it using SQL (in a test db) and it showed as succeeded, but Epicor appears to still be using the size in the Extended UD Maintenance.
We have data in this field.
What’s the best way to go about this?

I am sure there is another way of doing this. Just this is what I would try in test to see if it would work.

1. export data
  2. DMT blanks for each record in orig field.
  3. delete orig field.
  4. create new orig field (with desired size limit)
  5. DMT data from step 1
1 Like

Extended UD Maintenance and Data Model Regeneration in E10 are supposed to allow field size changes. You may receive an error if you are changing the size lower and existing data will be truncated but up-sizing should work.

You should place a call with Tech Support on this.

Hi Rich,

I actually did and was told it’s not possible.
CS0001172317 is the case.

I did make it work before… I am on 10.0.700.2

Pierre

The errors you are seeing in the case aren’t related to the increase in size, it’s something else. That case is closed, but, I’ll create a new one. We’ll need your database in-house to triage.

1 Like

No need - I know what the problem is. Nathan - have a problem case created for tools and we will address (and add the simple use case to our standard regression testing).

Issue is that we are attempting to alter the column but SQL knows the column is being referenced by something else so fails the Alter column. The “Something” referencing the column is the dbo.Tablename View that we create to allow a single table view of all the columns - Epicor and UD. This was done in part to allow reports from E9 that referenced a Table directly to work in E10 with the UD Columns split out into the Extended UD table.

I thought that we had addressed this issue in 10.1 but apparently that work was specific to upgrade processing.

I have a possible workaround but it involves directly touching the DB and Nathan will kill me if I even mention that…

1 Like

Does it involve dropping the constraints? I can Google the rest. :slight_smile:

Are you sure you don’t have a refrigerator with beer near you???

Mark “I’m with Nathan” W.

Hey–it’s a test database. Have no fear!

1 Like

I’m on it mon capitaine :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

@Rich @aidacra You guys rock!

1 Like

Hey there,

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get this work, changing a UD field from ShortChar limit of 50 up to perhaps 1000 using Extended UD Table Maintenance? I was hopeful reading posts above that it worked for some, but when we go to run the generate data model we’re getting error below:

We have this field in multiple places… customization, bpm, report and it would be SOOOO nice to bump up the character limit instead of having to migrate to a new character field. We’re on 10.1.600.20

Thanks,
Nancy

You just have to delete the dependent column (ShortChar11 in your case) in SSMS, then regen the data model. The regen process will recreate your dependency after it’s done.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks very much for reply :slight_smile:
I have data in the ShortChar11 field for many PO detail rows. Any suggestions for how to deal with it? I’m thinking Copy data off to side in another spot, delete ShortChar11 using SSMS regen it w the 1000 and load er up?

Nancy

Sorry, I should clarify.
You don’t need to delete the actual column, just the constraint.
Yours should say something like DF_PODetail_UD_ShortChar11

1. Increase the field size in Extended UD Maint
  2. Delete constraint in SSMS
  3. Regen
  4. Winning

(Please be sure to test this in a test database as touching the data structure is not sanctioned by Epicor)

1 Like

Yep ~ test database just like my error states :slight_smile:
Thanks Aaron,
Nancy

1 Like

Thanks again soooo much for your help Aaron ~ you’ve saved me from having to revise customizations on Part entry, part tracker, po entry, po tracker, UD13 and po form! I love E10 help :heart_eyes:

Nancy

1 Like