Intermec CK3 Handheld Auto Remote Desktop

I had forgotten about that timeout. It's currently set at 15 minutes which help says is the lowest time. I'm seeing a disconnect at 10 minutes, so it would appear I have multiple paths for timeouts. I will bump it up and see what that does.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "davidsawan2000" <davidsawan@...> wrote:
>
> Did you rule out the user timeout? Check to make sure the Epicor User for your handheld has a timeout of 30 mins or more. I believe the default is either zero or 10 mins. We have our handhelds set to 35 mins based on recomendation from Epicor.
>
>
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "that_guyy" <rbird@> wrote:
> >
> > Time out issue could be both. I think we found two places on the server for the time out. On the handhelds make sure all power saving feature are disabled except auto backlight. Check and make sure the WiFi settings don't have any power conserving turned on, this shuts off the radio. We had the same problem and it was tricky to get worked out and I don't remember all the settings on both sides, I guess I should have documented it!
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Vonderhaar" <tvonderhaar@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Rick. I have it basically running now thanks to everyones input. I still have a nagging session disconnect at about 10 minutes of idle even though I turned the timeouts to never on the RDP properties for active and idle session limit. Not sure if it's a handheld or server issue at this point.
> > >
> > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "that_guyy" <rbird@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Tim,
> > > > Per my previous post, you only need 6.1 to be able to store the credentials. 6.5 can too, but I found it a bit messy, we are sticking with 6.1. The key is to check the "save password" checkbox and to set any of the RDP options.
> > > >
> > > > (BTW - In my experiance, most handheld devices can't upgrade outside their factory loaded OS, our CK61's couldn't upgrade from WM5 to WM 6.1, so we had to purchase CK3's)
> > > >
> > > > -Rick
> > > >
> > > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Vonderhaar" <tvonderhaar@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Outstanding! I will first see if we can upgrade our handhelds to 6.5 which should make things very clean.
> > > > >
> > > > > Many thanks,
> > > > > Tim
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "that_guyy" <rbird@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > WM 6.5 and up will store your login credentials but nothing below 6.5 will store them. CE.. I don't know. Here is what I did:
> > > > > > 1. at least one windows server account per handheld
> > > > > > 2. logon to the server via each handheld with their respective credentials
> > > > > > 3. log out of the RDP session on the handheld.
> > > > > > 4. The server now has created a profile for that account.
> > > > > > 5. On the windows server create a Epicor config file for each handheld account, specifying auto login with the appropriate Epicor user credentials
> > > > > > 6. In on the windows server in each user's windows profile (Docs & settings) put a shortcut to the Epicor Handheld in the user's startup folder, but the shortcut parameters should specify the appropriate Epicor config file you created in step 5.
> > > > > > 7. Now when you login to the server with user "HH1" it should automatically start up Epicor Handheld and automatically login the Epicor user specified in HH1's config file and just prompt the user for their employee ID.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > So from the user side of things this is what they experiance:
> > > > > > The handheld is configured to automatically start Mobile RDP by dropping the Remote RDP shortcut in the handhelds windows startup folder.
> > > > > > 1. they startup the handheld
> > > > > > 2. handheld auto starts up RDP, & the user selects the "Connect" option (credentials are already set to the last login).
> > > > > > 3. After a few seconds, the handheld starts the RDP session.
> > > > > > 4. A few seconds later Epicor Handheld pops up prompting the user for their employee ID.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Note: If you cannot run WM 6.5 or better, you can easily create barcodes for the RDP session login and attach them to the handheld with a string or print them on labels near where the handhelds are stored, then the user just has to scan the barcodes to login.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hope that makes sense.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Vonderhaar" <tvonderhaar@> wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.
Unfortunately, not that I’m aware of. The Win CE/Mobile OS’s RDP client doesn’t have the ability to store login info.

I try to make the user and password super easy to key in. For example, user = “hh1” (for “handheld 1”) and password = “1111”. Both are somewhat easy to key in.

You can make it auto-run the handheld client simply by copying a shortcut to the Handheld Client and placing the shortcut in the Windows-Startup folder.

Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:50 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Intermec CK3 Handheld Auto Remote Desktop

Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1831 / Virus Database: 2090/4546 - Release Date: 10/11/11

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
WM 6.5 and up will store your login credentials but nothing below 6.5 will store them. CE.. I don't know. Here is what I did:
1. at least one windows server account per handheld
2. logon to the server via each handheld with their respective credentials
3. log out of the RDP session on the handheld.
4. The server now has created a profile for that account.
5. On the windows server create a Epicor config file for each handheld account, specifying auto login with the appropriate Epicor user credentials
6. In on the windows server in each user's windows profile (Docs & settings) put a shortcut to the Epicor Handheld in the user's startup folder, but the shortcut parameters should specify the appropriate Epicor config file you created in step 5.
7. Now when you login to the server with user "HH1" it should automatically start up Epicor Handheld and automatically login the Epicor user specified in HH1's config file and just prompt the user for their employee ID.

So from the user side of things this is what they experiance:
The handheld is configured to automatically start Mobile RDP by dropping the Remote RDP shortcut in the handhelds windows startup folder.
1. they startup the handheld
2. handheld auto starts up RDP, & the user selects the "Connect" option (credentials are already set to the last login).
3. After a few seconds, the handheld starts the RDP session.
4. A few seconds later Epicor Handheld pops up prompting the user for their employee ID.

Note: If you cannot run WM 6.5 or better, you can easily create barcodes for the RDP session login and attach them to the handheld with a string or print them on labels near where the handhelds are stored, then the user just has to scan the barcodes to login.

Hope that makes sense.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Vonderhaar" <tvonderhaar@...> wrote:
>
> Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.
>
Outstanding! I will first see if we can upgrade our handhelds to 6.5 which should make things very clean.

Many thanks,
Tim

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "that_guyy" <rbird@...> wrote:
>
> WM 6.5 and up will store your login credentials but nothing below 6.5 will store them. CE.. I don't know. Here is what I did:
> 1. at least one windows server account per handheld
> 2. logon to the server via each handheld with their respective credentials
> 3. log out of the RDP session on the handheld.
> 4. The server now has created a profile for that account.
> 5. On the windows server create a Epicor config file for each handheld account, specifying auto login with the appropriate Epicor user credentials
> 6. In on the windows server in each user's windows profile (Docs & settings) put a shortcut to the Epicor Handheld in the user's startup folder, but the shortcut parameters should specify the appropriate Epicor config file you created in step 5.
> 7. Now when you login to the server with user "HH1" it should automatically start up Epicor Handheld and automatically login the Epicor user specified in HH1's config file and just prompt the user for their employee ID.
>
> So from the user side of things this is what they experiance:
> The handheld is configured to automatically start Mobile RDP by dropping the Remote RDP shortcut in the handhelds windows startup folder.
> 1. they startup the handheld
> 2. handheld auto starts up RDP, & the user selects the "Connect" option (credentials are already set to the last login).
> 3. After a few seconds, the handheld starts the RDP session.
> 4. A few seconds later Epicor Handheld pops up prompting the user for their employee ID.
>
> Note: If you cannot run WM 6.5 or better, you can easily create barcodes for the RDP session login and attach them to the handheld with a string or print them on labels near where the handhelds are stored, then the user just has to scan the barcodes to login.
>
> Hope that makes sense.
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Vonderhaar" <tvonderhaar@> wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.
> >
>
"That_guyy" outlined it very well.

As another option for Step 6, you can set the starting program for that HH user in Active Directory's environment tab.
For example, I set our HH01 user's starting program to be:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Epicor Software\Epicor905\Client\MfgSys.exe" /CONFIG=HH01.mfgsys -HH
which should be the same path the shortcut would contain.
This allows me to not have to worry about shortcuts in their profiles.

Six one way, half a dozen the other.

>
> Outstanding! I will first see if we can upgrade our handhelds to 6.5 which should make things very clean.
>
> Many thanks,
> Tim
>
> >
> > WM 6.5 and up will store your login credentials but nothing below 6.5 will store them. CE.. I don't know. Here is what I did:
> > 1. at least one windows server account per handheld
> > 2. logon to the server via each handheld with their respective credentials
> > 3. log out of the RDP session on the handheld.
> > 4. The server now has created a profile for that account.
> > 5. On the windows server create a Epicor config file for each handheld account, specifying auto login with the appropriate Epicor user credentials
> > 6. In on the windows server in each user's windows profile (Docs & settings) put a shortcut to the Epicor Handheld in the user's startup folder, but the shortcut parameters should specify the appropriate Epicor config file you created in step 5.
> > 7. Now when you login to the server with user "HH1" it should automatically start up Epicor Handheld and automatically login the Epicor user specified in HH1's config file and just prompt the user for their employee ID.
> >
> > So from the user side of things this is what they experiance:
> > The handheld is configured to automatically start Mobile RDP by dropping the Remote RDP shortcut in the handhelds windows startup folder.
> > 1. they startup the handheld
> > 2. handheld auto starts up RDP, & the user selects the "Connect" option (credentials are already set to the last login).
> > 3. After a few seconds, the handheld starts the RDP session.
> > 4. A few seconds later Epicor Handheld pops up prompting the user for their employee ID.
> >
> > Note: If you cannot run WM 6.5 or better, you can easily create barcodes for the RDP session login and attach them to the handheld with a string or print them on labels near where the handhelds are stored, then the user just has to scan the barcodes to login.
> >
> > Hope that makes sense.
> >
> > >
> > > Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.
> > >
> >
>
Correction from my last post. WM 6.1 and up and store your login credentials but nothing below 6.1 will store them.

>
> WM 6.5 and up will store your login credentials but nothing below 6.5 will store them. CE.. I don't know. Here is what I did:
> 1. at least one windows server account per handheld
> 2. logon to the server via each handheld with their respective credentials
> 3. log out of the RDP session on the handheld.
> 4. The server now has created a profile for that account.
> 5. On the windows server create a Epicor config file for each handheld account, specifying auto login with the appropriate Epicor user credentials
> 6. In on the windows server in each user's windows profile (Docs & settings) put a shortcut to the Epicor Handheld in the user's startup folder, but the shortcut parameters should specify the appropriate Epicor config file you created in step 5.
> 7. Now when you login to the server with user "HH1" it should automatically start up Epicor Handheld and automatically login the Epicor user specified in HH1's config file and just prompt the user for their employee ID.
>
> So from the user side of things this is what they experiance:
> The handheld is configured to automatically start Mobile RDP by dropping the Remote RDP shortcut in the handhelds windows startup folder.
> 1. they startup the handheld
> 2. handheld auto starts up RDP, & the user selects the "Connect" option (credentials are already set to the last login).
> 3. After a few seconds, the handheld starts the RDP session.
> 4. A few seconds later Epicor Handheld pops up prompting the user for their employee ID.
>
> Note: If you cannot run WM 6.5 or better, you can easily create barcodes for the RDP session login and attach them to the handheld with a string or print them on labels near where the handhelds are stored, then the user just has to scan the barcodes to login.
>
> Hope that makes sense.
>
> >
> > Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.
> >
>
Tim,
Per my previous post, you only need 6.1 to be able to store the credentials. 6.5 can too, but I found it a bit messy, we are sticking with 6.1. The key is to check the "save password" checkbox and to set any of the RDP options.

(BTW - In my experiance, most handheld devices can't upgrade outside their factory loaded OS, our CK61's couldn't upgrade from WM5 to WM 6.1, so we had to purchase CK3's)

-Rick

>
> Outstanding! I will first see if we can upgrade our handhelds to 6.5 which should make things very clean.
>
> Many thanks,
> Tim
>
> >
> > WM 6.5 and up will store your login credentials but nothing below 6.5 will store them. CE.. I don't know. Here is what I did:
> > 1. at least one windows server account per handheld
> > 2. logon to the server via each handheld with their respective credentials
> > 3. log out of the RDP session on the handheld.
> > 4. The server now has created a profile for that account.
> > 5. On the windows server create a Epicor config file for each handheld account, specifying auto login with the appropriate Epicor user credentials
> > 6. In on the windows server in each user's windows profile (Docs & settings) put a shortcut to the Epicor Handheld in the user's startup folder, but the shortcut parameters should specify the appropriate Epicor config file you created in step 5.
> > 7. Now when you login to the server with user "HH1" it should automatically start up Epicor Handheld and automatically login the Epicor user specified in HH1's config file and just prompt the user for their employee ID.
> >
> > So from the user side of things this is what they experiance:
> > The handheld is configured to automatically start Mobile RDP by dropping the Remote RDP shortcut in the handhelds windows startup folder.
> > 1. they startup the handheld
> > 2. handheld auto starts up RDP, & the user selects the "Connect" option (credentials are already set to the last login).
> > 3. After a few seconds, the handheld starts the RDP session.
> > 4. A few seconds later Epicor Handheld pops up prompting the user for their employee ID.
> >
> > Note: If you cannot run WM 6.5 or better, you can easily create barcodes for the RDP session login and attach them to the handheld with a string or print them on labels near where the handhelds are stored, then the user just has to scan the barcodes to login.
> >
> > Hope that makes sense.
> >
> > >
> > > Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.
> > >
> >
>
Thanks Rick. I have it basically running now thanks to everyones input. I still have a nagging session disconnect at about 10 minutes of idle even though I turned the timeouts to never on the RDP properties for active and idle session limit. Not sure if it's a handheld or server issue at this point.

>
> Tim,
> Per my previous post, you only need 6.1 to be able to store the credentials. 6.5 can too, but I found it a bit messy, we are sticking with 6.1. The key is to check the "save password" checkbox and to set any of the RDP options.
>
> (BTW - In my experiance, most handheld devices can't upgrade outside their factory loaded OS, our CK61's couldn't upgrade from WM5 to WM 6.1, so we had to purchase CK3's)
>
> -Rick
>
> >
> > Outstanding! I will first see if we can upgrade our handhelds to 6.5 which should make things very clean.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Tim
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "that_guyy" <rbird@> wrote:
> > >
> > > WM 6.5 and up will store your login credentials but nothing below 6.5 will store them. CE.. I don't know. Here is what I did:
> > > 1. at least one windows server account per handheld
> > > 2. logon to the server via each handheld with their respective credentials
> > > 3. log out of the RDP session on the handheld.
> > > 4. The server now has created a profile for that account.
> > > 5. On the windows server create a Epicor config file for each handheld account, specifying auto login with the appropriate Epicor user credentials
> > > 6. In on the windows server in each user's windows profile (Docs & settings) put a shortcut to the Epicor Handheld in the user's startup folder, but the shortcut parameters should specify the appropriate Epicor config file you created in step 5.
> > > 7. Now when you login to the server with user "HH1" it should automatically start up Epicor Handheld and automatically login the Epicor user specified in HH1's config file and just prompt the user for their employee ID.
> > >
> > > So from the user side of things this is what they experiance:
> > > The handheld is configured to automatically start Mobile RDP by dropping the Remote RDP shortcut in the handhelds windows startup folder.
> > > 1. they startup the handheld
> > > 2. handheld auto starts up RDP, & the user selects the "Connect" option (credentials are already set to the last login).
> > > 3. After a few seconds, the handheld starts the RDP session.
> > > 4. A few seconds later Epicor Handheld pops up prompting the user for their employee ID.
> > >
> > > Note: If you cannot run WM 6.5 or better, you can easily create barcodes for the RDP session login and attach them to the handheld with a string or print them on labels near where the handhelds are stored, then the user just has to scan the barcodes to login.
> > >
> > > Hope that makes sense.
> > >
> > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Vonderhaar" <tvonderhaar@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
Time out issue could be both. I think we found two places on the server for the time out. On the handhelds make sure all power saving feature are disabled except auto backlight. Check and make sure the WiFi settings don't have any power conserving turned on, this shuts off the radio. We had the same problem and it was tricky to get worked out and I don't remember all the settings on both sides, I guess I should have documented it!

>
> Thanks Rick. I have it basically running now thanks to everyones input. I still have a nagging session disconnect at about 10 minutes of idle even though I turned the timeouts to never on the RDP properties for active and idle session limit. Not sure if it's a handheld or server issue at this point.
>
> >
> > Tim,
> > Per my previous post, you only need 6.1 to be able to store the credentials. 6.5 can too, but I found it a bit messy, we are sticking with 6.1. The key is to check the "save password" checkbox and to set any of the RDP options.
> >
> > (BTW - In my experiance, most handheld devices can't upgrade outside their factory loaded OS, our CK61's couldn't upgrade from WM5 to WM 6.1, so we had to purchase CK3's)
> >
> > -Rick
> >
> > >
> > > Outstanding! I will first see if we can upgrade our handhelds to 6.5 which should make things very clean.
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > > Tim
> > >
> > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "that_guyy" <rbird@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > WM 6.5 and up will store your login credentials but nothing below 6.5 will store them. CE.. I don't know. Here is what I did:
> > > > 1. at least one windows server account per handheld
> > > > 2. logon to the server via each handheld with their respective credentials
> > > > 3. log out of the RDP session on the handheld.
> > > > 4. The server now has created a profile for that account.
> > > > 5. On the windows server create a Epicor config file for each handheld account, specifying auto login with the appropriate Epicor user credentials
> > > > 6. In on the windows server in each user's windows profile (Docs & settings) put a shortcut to the Epicor Handheld in the user's startup folder, but the shortcut parameters should specify the appropriate Epicor config file you created in step 5.
> > > > 7. Now when you login to the server with user "HH1" it should automatically start up Epicor Handheld and automatically login the Epicor user specified in HH1's config file and just prompt the user for their employee ID.
> > > >
> > > > So from the user side of things this is what they experiance:
> > > > The handheld is configured to automatically start Mobile RDP by dropping the Remote RDP shortcut in the handhelds windows startup folder.
> > > > 1. they startup the handheld
> > > > 2. handheld auto starts up RDP, & the user selects the "Connect" option (credentials are already set to the last login).
> > > > 3. After a few seconds, the handheld starts the RDP session.
> > > > 4. A few seconds later Epicor Handheld pops up prompting the user for their employee ID.
> > > >
> > > > Note: If you cannot run WM 6.5 or better, you can easily create barcodes for the RDP session login and attach them to the handheld with a string or print them on labels near where the handhelds are stored, then the user just has to scan the barcodes to login.
> > > >
> > > > Hope that makes sense.
> > > >
> > > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Vonderhaar" <tvonderhaar@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
Thanks, I will check the handheld a bit more.

Since my last post, I found a program written just for this problem. It's called RDMKeepBusy and does what's it's name implies. It basically wakes up every 5 minutes and does just enough work to keep the RDP session alive. Not sure what the battery penalty is at this point, but it does work. Just put it in the startup folder and forget it.

>
> Time out issue could be both. I think we found two places on the server for the time out. On the handhelds make sure all power saving feature are disabled except auto backlight. Check and make sure the WiFi settings don't have any power conserving turned on, this shuts off the radio. We had the same problem and it was tricky to get worked out and I don't remember all the settings on both sides, I guess I should have documented it!
>
> >
> > Thanks Rick. I have it basically running now thanks to everyones input. I still have a nagging session disconnect at about 10 minutes of idle even though I turned the timeouts to never on the RDP properties for active and idle session limit. Not sure if it's a handheld or server issue at this point.
> >
> > >
> > > Tim,
> > > Per my previous post, you only need 6.1 to be able to store the credentials. 6.5 can too, but I found it a bit messy, we are sticking with 6.1. The key is to check the "save password" checkbox and to set any of the RDP options.
> > >
> > > (BTW - In my experiance, most handheld devices can't upgrade outside their factory loaded OS, our CK61's couldn't upgrade from WM5 to WM 6.1, so we had to purchase CK3's)
> > >
> > > -Rick
> > >
> > > >
> > > > Outstanding! I will first see if we can upgrade our handhelds to 6.5 which should make things very clean.
> > > >
> > > > Many thanks,
> > > > Tim
> > > >
> > > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "that_guyy" <rbird@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > WM 6.5 and up will store your login credentials but nothing below 6.5 will store them. CE.. I don't know. Here is what I did:
> > > > > 1. at least one windows server account per handheld
> > > > > 2. logon to the server via each handheld with their respective credentials
> > > > > 3. log out of the RDP session on the handheld.
> > > > > 4. The server now has created a profile for that account.
> > > > > 5. On the windows server create a Epicor config file for each handheld account, specifying auto login with the appropriate Epicor user credentials
> > > > > 6. In on the windows server in each user's windows profile (Docs & settings) put a shortcut to the Epicor Handheld in the user's startup folder, but the shortcut parameters should specify the appropriate Epicor config file you created in step 5.
> > > > > 7. Now when you login to the server with user "HH1" it should automatically start up Epicor Handheld and automatically login the Epicor user specified in HH1's config file and just prompt the user for their employee ID.
> > > > >
> > > > > So from the user side of things this is what they experiance:
> > > > > The handheld is configured to automatically start Mobile RDP by dropping the Remote RDP shortcut in the handhelds windows startup folder.
> > > > > 1. they startup the handheld
> > > > > 2. handheld auto starts up RDP, & the user selects the "Connect" option (credentials are already set to the last login).
> > > > > 3. After a few seconds, the handheld starts the RDP session.
> > > > > 4. A few seconds later Epicor Handheld pops up prompting the user for their employee ID.
> > > > >
> > > > > Note: If you cannot run WM 6.5 or better, you can easily create barcodes for the RDP session login and attach them to the handheld with a string or print them on labels near where the handhelds are stored, then the user just has to scan the barcodes to login.
> > > > >
> > > > > Hope that makes sense.
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Vonderhaar" <tvonderhaar@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
Did you rule out the user timeout? Check to make sure the Epicor User for your handheld has a timeout of 30 mins or more. I believe the default is either zero or 10 mins. We have our handhelds set to 35 mins based on recomendation from Epicor.

>
> Time out issue could be both. I think we found two places on the server for the time out. On the handhelds make sure all power saving feature are disabled except auto backlight. Check and make sure the WiFi settings don't have any power conserving turned on, this shuts off the radio. We had the same problem and it was tricky to get worked out and I don't remember all the settings on both sides, I guess I should have documented it!
>
> >
> > Thanks Rick. I have it basically running now thanks to everyones input. I still have a nagging session disconnect at about 10 minutes of idle even though I turned the timeouts to never on the RDP properties for active and idle session limit. Not sure if it's a handheld or server issue at this point.
> >
> > >
> > > Tim,
> > > Per my previous post, you only need 6.1 to be able to store the credentials. 6.5 can too, but I found it a bit messy, we are sticking with 6.1. The key is to check the "save password" checkbox and to set any of the RDP options.
> > >
> > > (BTW - In my experiance, most handheld devices can't upgrade outside their factory loaded OS, our CK61's couldn't upgrade from WM5 to WM 6.1, so we had to purchase CK3's)
> > >
> > > -Rick
> > >
> > > >
> > > > Outstanding! I will first see if we can upgrade our handhelds to 6.5 which should make things very clean.
> > > >
> > > > Many thanks,
> > > > Tim
> > > >
> > > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "that_guyy" <rbird@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > WM 6.5 and up will store your login credentials but nothing below 6.5 will store them. CE.. I don't know. Here is what I did:
> > > > > 1. at least one windows server account per handheld
> > > > > 2. logon to the server via each handheld with their respective credentials
> > > > > 3. log out of the RDP session on the handheld.
> > > > > 4. The server now has created a profile for that account.
> > > > > 5. On the windows server create a Epicor config file for each handheld account, specifying auto login with the appropriate Epicor user credentials
> > > > > 6. In on the windows server in each user's windows profile (Docs & settings) put a shortcut to the Epicor Handheld in the user's startup folder, but the shortcut parameters should specify the appropriate Epicor config file you created in step 5.
> > > > > 7. Now when you login to the server with user "HH1" it should automatically start up Epicor Handheld and automatically login the Epicor user specified in HH1's config file and just prompt the user for their employee ID.
> > > > >
> > > > > So from the user side of things this is what they experiance:
> > > > > The handheld is configured to automatically start Mobile RDP by dropping the Remote RDP shortcut in the handhelds windows startup folder.
> > > > > 1. they startup the handheld
> > > > > 2. handheld auto starts up RDP, & the user selects the "Connect" option (credentials are already set to the last login).
> > > > > 3. After a few seconds, the handheld starts the RDP session.
> > > > > 4. A few seconds later Epicor Handheld pops up prompting the user for their employee ID.
> > > > >
> > > > > Note: If you cannot run WM 6.5 or better, you can easily create barcodes for the RDP session login and attach them to the handheld with a string or print them on labels near where the handhelds are stored, then the user just has to scan the barcodes to login.
> > > > >
> > > > > Hope that makes sense.
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Vonderhaar" <tvonderhaar@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Is it possible within Windows Mobile 6.1 to automatically establish a remote desktop session where we can then run the handheld MES software? I have the remote desktop mobile setup and working, I just can't find a way to make it establish the connection automatically on bootup.
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>