Inventory Selling Factors

We did something similar with pallets. We finally settled on setting up the pallet as a fixed quantity in the BOM and setting a max lot size on the finished part (in your case 8). The only problem is it forces multiple jobs so your example would create 3 jobs.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "k99ja04" <jallmond@...> wrote:
>
> Mulling over a complicated inventory issue that to date has been handled manually. We drop ship finished goods for customers, but they send us a finished good box they want us to use, Unfortunately the ratio is not 1:1, and they ship us parts and boxes separately, and not always in matching quantities.
>
> 8 finished parts fit into a box. So I'm thinking create a part number for the box, and add the box as a material to the finished good in part master. I know I will have to set the factor and direction, for both the "purchased" box and finished good, but not sure exactly how to tackle this. This gets further complicated in that we don't always sell in full boxes. Say 20 parts are ordered, which will take 3 boxes, but only 4 parts will be in the last box. I would like the system to handle the box inventory for me as I ship finished goods. Thoughts?
> Thanks,
> Jared
>
Mulling over a complicated inventory issue that to date has been handled manually. We drop ship finished goods for customers, but they send us a finished good box they want us to use, Unfortunately the ratio is not 1:1, and they ship us parts and boxes separately, and not always in matching quantities.

8 finished parts fit into a box. So I'm thinking create a part number for the box, and add the box as a material to the finished good in part master. I know I will have to set the factor and direction, for both the "purchased" box and finished good, but not sure exactly how to tackle this. This gets further complicated in that we don't always sell in full boxes. Say 20 parts are ordered, which will take 3 boxes, but only 4 parts will be in the last box. I would like the system to handle the box inventory for me as I ship finished goods. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jared
I forgot to mention we are still live on 8.03.408b, so track multiple UOM feature is not available to us. So maybe the answer is that it's not possible in 8.03.4xx.
Thanks,
Jared