Job Closing Failing due to cost variance for part-on-the-fly... how are others handling this?

We are looking into some job closing exceptions and are finding that purchase direct parts on the fly come into the job with an estimated cost of $0.00, but when they are purchased to the job, the actual cost reflects the cost on the PO. This is causing a variance above our accepted job closing cost variance parameter, but the question is, how are others avoiding this issue for parts on the fly?

Add the material cost on the job material.

When you create the job material, if the material does not exist in your part master, it will have a $0 unit cost. You need to update the cost so you have the estimated material cost. When the demand creates the PO suggestion, the unit
cost will come over to the PO Suggestion and the PO will show the unit cost in the job material.

If you adjust the PO unit price, it will not update the job material so you will have that variance between actual and estimated.

Charlie Smith

CRS Consulting Services


Thanks, I figured this is the only way to do it. The issue being that the person creating the job doesn’t know how much the part will be. Do you see other organizations passing that responsibility onto the buyers to fill in the unit cost when it is a part on the fly?

I have a BAQ gadget to look for these, and when they pop up, I just fix them myself. Kind of a pain, but not horrible. Depends on the business for sure.

1 Like

Cool, I will see if that is something we want to do.

Here’s the BAQ that I use for looking for parts that have no cost that are ordered and on jobs. These are ones that would mess up job costing if they get issued before they were received. You can use this one for the BAQ gadget and when there is a part that needs cost, one will show in the list. If you open the BAQ, it’s updateable, and allows you to apply an average cost to the part. This will bypass the the cost adjustment in PartTran, so ONLY DO THIS IF THE PART HAS 0 ON HAND. (You were warned). If your business does the receiving and issuing in the correct order, you don’t really need this one.

PartsWithNoCost.baq (71.7 KB)

This second BAQ is what you are really asking for in your question. If you have a part that has a cost in the costing tables for average cost, but not on the job, it will show up on the list. Put this one in a BAQ gadget to refresh every hour or two, and it will show up when you have this mismatch. I did not make this one updateable because when you change the cost in the job, another method fires to recalculate the cost, and it doesn’t fire in a UBAQ without modifications, and I haven’t tackled that yet. So I just use this BAQ to find the materials and change it directly in the job entry screen.

JobEstimateCostCheck.baq (19.9 KB)

These two go pretty hand in hand, because if you have a new part (so no average cost), it will be on the job before there is a cost in the system since the job creates the demand to be ordered. Then when it get’s ordered, your purchase order will have a cost on it. That first BAQ looks for the parts with no cost and lets you adjust, then the second one will throw a row up because now the part has a cost in the table, but not on the job.

Anyways, you can try those out, play with the filters. As always, use at your own risk, test first, safe harbor etc.

Let me know if you have any problems getting it working.

1 Like