Job Completion and Costs

Vantage 8.03.408 - Not a financial guy, so I hope this makes sense.

Trying to build/re-build our Job Completion/Job Closing process. I am trying to work in a worst case scenario to understand the impact and how to manage it.

Scenario: I have a Job Packet that has been given to the Planner/Scheduler to mark the Job as “Complete” on 06.30.17. Reviewing the W.I.P Report I see the figures that moved to inventory from the Auto Receipt transaction. I also see the figures that have remained in W.I.P due to transactions being performed after the Auto Receipt transaction. The Planner/Scheduler marks the Job “Complete” and the W.I.P figures move to C.O.S. The Planner/Scheduler forwards the Job Packet to finance to mark the Job as “Closed”. Before the step happens the “Capture COS/WIP Activity” process is run on 07.01.17 as part of the Month End Close. All of the aforementioned costs have now posted.

Question: Why did the costs post when the Job was ONLY “Complete”? We did not expect anything to post until the Job is “Closed”.

Thanks much!

Job cost will also be posted on a make to order job when the job is shipped (before it’s set as complete or closed). At least in E-10. I don’t have any experience in vantage 8. Do you know how to look at the transactions to the GL using the GL transaction detail tracker (if that is in vantage like it is in E-10). That should be able to help you track down exactly when the cost was posted and what transaction did it.

Capture Routine with POST TO GL selected will POST, as that is what it does!
In EPI-world… detailed transactions are written to Part-trans, and periodically CAPTURE is run and posted. If you run capture within a month, perhaps on Wednesday for prior week… the prior weeks labor trans need to be ‘clean’ because once-posted, can not be easily corrected. Epi-steps of Completing and Closing a JOB will constrain activities against the job, but CAPTURE posts to the GL

Job costs move from Work in Process to Cost of Sales/Inventory based on the auto receipt to inventory transactions whether the job is “completed” or not. If Capture and Post is run after this, the costs will be booked to the GL.

The only real financial impact that the Job “Closed” button has is as follows:

1. Any costs remaining on the job (called “late arriving”) – generally after the units have moved from WIP will show as costs in WIP. Once the job is flagged as “closed” they will show as Phantom Purge to WIP until the next Capture and Post. At that time the late arriving costs will move out of WIP and be posted to Manufacturing Variance in the GL. Complete and Close do not have any real connection to how costs move to the GL except for the final variance calculation.