Job Scheduling gaps

Hello,
I am trying to understand why job scheduling board leaves gaps between operations that are sequential? After i run calculate global schedule, a lot of the operations will not show to start after the previous operation is finished. I have set everything to infiniite scheduling. In job scheduling, if I click on the job and set it to “backward scheduling” the gaps disappear. Everything, I believe, is set to backward schedule already, so I dont understand why I have to manually click the job and do backward scheduling for the gaps to disappear. Any thoughts? thank you all.

before clicking job and doing backwards schedule:

after backward scheduling:

It’s impossible to say by looking at just one job. What process did you use to schedule the job in the “before” image? What was the exact settings in the “after” image? Are you finite scheduling? Global scheduling? Is there another job taking up time on that resource?

Depending on the exact settings you use when you hit the schedule button, you can get a nice looking job individually, but creating a traffic jam when you look at the big picture.

I would look for the Minimize WIP setting - it’s supposed to eliminate the gaps. However, it could be because other jobs you are not looking at currently, are consuming shared resources. It’s possible that the global scheduling order, capability, priorities, etc. have all created the gap - which really isn’t a gap. Check the resource scheduling board and see if the gap exists still.

i am actually attempting to implement scheduling with jobs that have already been released/scheduled in our test account. I imagine this might be part of the issue since I can’t say how they hit the schedule job button when it was iniitally put into the system. I was just assuming if i changed all the resources to infinite and ran “calculate global scheduling” it would stack all the jobs up backward from their due dates, regardless of resource capacity.

Thank you for the reply. I have not done minimize WIP, so I can look into this. I just didn’t think it would create any gaps if it was all set to “infinite scheduling”, it would just backwards schedule from the due date.

It does ‘just backwards schedule’ but it does it in multiple passes and may move things around a bit. The MinWip setting is important the ‘stack’ operations (so they tell me).

Makes sense, I had no idea about the min WIP setting or if/when it should be used, so that does help give me something to experiment around with.

you can run the load levelling process (if it is in E9) its in the actions menu in Resource Scheduling Board.

This is the bumph from the help

Resource Scheduling Board - Load Leveling

Use this function to compress the operations on a resource group so that no time exists between them. This allows you to examine the possibility of eliminating any idle time at your bottleneck resource groups. The changes made by the load leveling function are what-if changes only–you need to accept them before they become your actual schedule.

1 Like