Job Scheduling Priority

Hi,

I’m interested to know if anyone use the Scheduling Priority option in job entry for anything other than “NORMAL” ?

We have always just left it alone but someone has asked me why we don’t use it (with a view to prioritizing certain jobs over others) i seem to remember being told that we should just leave it alone and let the schedule do its thing.

Regards,

John

Hi john,

I dont know why you have been told to leave it alone. It is my understanding that this parameter is used specifically to assign scheduling priority! at least in E10…

Maybe you got told to leave it alone, because it was not in the instructors agenda for the day :wink:

We use it all the time. It is very useful to get a hot job scheduled in front of some other job. We also use the Global Scheduling Priority routine to reset priorities before running the full Global Reschedule on a regular basis. We use four levels HIGH, LOW, NORMAL, URGENT.

My suggestion is to just test it to prove it helps your scenario.

If you have a recent test system isolate a job or two to test with, run the priority dispatch listing and then change the schedule priority. You will need to reschedule the job afterwards. The priority dispatch report will then change.

Then start up a brand new job and throw that in too.

Are you using infinite and forward scheduling?

Brad Boes
bradboes@boosterpconsulting.com
231-845-1090

1 Like

Hi Brad,

I have just copied my Live to Test for that very reason, we are using Finite scheduling as far as I am aware it will backward schedule but if the job then has a start date in the passed it will forward schedule from the current date, is that correct ?

Best Regards,

John

Your understanding is correct John.

Right

Brad Boes
bradboes@boosterpconsulting.com
231-845-1090

Hi John, The scheduling priority on a job is used by the Global Scheduling functionality which schedules ALL open/engineered jobs based on the Scheduling Priority which does Forward/Infinite scheduling and capacity. If you are not using Global Scheduling, then it would not serve any other out-of-the-box scheduling function. However, I have seen customers, who are not using Global Scheduling, modify the table and use it to indicate a “priority order” manually. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

When it comes to forward/backward scheduling, does the “Scheduling Priority Code Maintenance” take precedence over the “Site Maintenance”?

For example, if I set the site maintenance to schedule forward but, my scheduling priority code maintenance for “normal” has backwards, will the jobs with normal priority be scheduled forward or backwards?