Kinetic 2022.1 C# BPM SQL Call Stored Proc

@tanner this has been killing me, but I think I’ve got it. I haven’t tested the process yet but it complies and validates.

I created a c:\nuget folder and added it to path; downloaded nuget.exe into that location; “installed” Microsoft.Data.SQLClient and copied the dll from here:

into the externals folder.

Then went through my BPMs and found that all the methods I had been using from System.Data.SQLClient were indeed in its replacement and same was not the object of a type forwarder.

Compiles and validates fine; I’ll let you know if it works once I’ve gotten to the processing stage.

1 Like

Straightens out security hat…again.

Make a note to update those DLLs as often as the Nuget package is patched for security issues. It’s popular for attackers to “live off the land” by finding out-of-date/unpatched libraries.

Or use REST… :thinking:

Yeah. not going to argue, especially as Microsoft.Data.SQLClient appears to be open source.

However, at the moment creating an API for MS SQL Server has proved beyond me, there are just too many things I don’t know. This library is inside an environment, inside a server, behind a 3rd-party physical firewall device - I know it’s asking for trouble but I think I’ve done what I can to only ask for a little trouble. You’d have to have an admin domain user and know the one port that’s open - and if you know that much, you’re already an inside jobber and probably can get the API keys or just access the database directly. Also thanks to Jose’s input earlier we’re no longer storing the DB creds anywhere.

If anyone knows a RESTSharp equivalent for SQL Server, I’d use that.

Totally understand my friend.

For the next pandemic…

Build a web API with minimal API, ASP.NET Core, and .NET 6

Minimal APIs in .NET 6 — A Complete Guide(Beginners + Advanced) | Medium

3 Likes

thanks! doing basic data patterns in c# on the plane to Australia in 2 weeks; I’ll queue these up for right after.

The MS tutorial says 23min; assuming prerequisites in place is that for real? And its learning path is. under 2h.

Yeah, minimal APIs in .NET 6 are really streamlined.

1 Like

I gotta come back to this too!

I just did a quick one yesterday. With .NET 6 and Core, it really is simple. I’m still learning and “playing” with the generalities of the API interface, but it’s perfect to allow Epicor to communicate with our other systems in a standardized way.

1 Like

The next step is to make sure we secure these APIs through some type of authentication (token over basic preferred) and authorization once identified.

Security Level Up:
Add an endpoint to your API like “admin” that is never called by any of your in-house programs, but when it is called, it gathers as much information about the caller so you can see who’s snooping around your network.

:honey_pot:

2 Likes

Also wrap the whole thing in a IP rate limiter that triggers based on 401 responses so that if someone tries to brute force they get put in time out. Exponential one too

4 Likes

Nice!

Y’all take all the fun out of “playing” and learning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1 Like

But learning security IS fun!!! :lying_face:

Just from Monday:
Why the future of APIs must include zero trust | VentureBeat

2 Likes

Looks like in 2022.2 you can no longer use System.Data.SqlClient

1 Like

what about Microsoft.Data.SQLClient?

I’ve got that working in 2022.1

That’s what I ended up using, forgot to post back here. Have to add it to externals unfortunately

during the long winter evenings, said Pa, I’m going get out that eFX from the woodshed and carve myself a generic CRUD function to use instead

2 Likes

Got around to trying this, doesn’t work either. Get this error

Microsoft.Data.SqlClient is not supported on this platform