Kinetic can not open local files or folders - migration path?

I guess I misunderstand how Edge Agent works, I was under the assumption it was used to access local system resources like printers and now files. So the edge agent really doesn’t access “local” files, they have to be on a network share for it to work

1 Like

It accesses attachements, like smart client does. Technically you can point attachment folder to your local folder, but then noone except you can use those attachments

Does anyone else find it funny, that we we now have a client to do this and
printing from a web app ?

When you know… we could just have a “Smart Client” that does it all… :rofl:

You are saying Epicor should not develop Kinetic for browser at all, right :smiling_imp: ?

Not quite, but I probably would make some different choices.

When you go to upload a W2 into turbo tax… doesn’t it access your local files?

No, the browser does, and sends that as a post request.

like what?

Alright… so why can’t kinetic do the same thing the broswer does in the example above?

and does this even pertain to the original post in this thread? thinking out loud

Maybe kinetic already does… I have yet to figure out what the post is really about.

Honestly at this point I’m confused :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get it now. A file is stored locally, whether that is on my computer, a server, etc. The browser doesn’t have access to it I guess? Like it can’t access the file. That’s what this post is about.

It’s not about uploading a document. it’s about viewing/opening a document stored locally from an attachment link? That’s what I am gathering.

It’s all making sense. Yeah we gotta change the way we store documents I guess.

Do ECM attachments work fine still?

I could go on for pages lol.

Most important one, Epicor should have never pushed the Kinetic client as production
ready for any purpose until it reached parity with the smart client.

But we’re veering off topic lol.

1 Like

No, they are terrible now. But Epicor is working on it based off of what I have seen.

1 Like

This does not work then, I think. Because I get that error that it can’t access a local file attachment on C:

can you from smart client attachment?

Yes, smart client has always worked this way

well, it is hard to say anything specific remotely. I would suggest you to ty to create new document type with client-side file attachments, point to some common folder like c:\temp and then try to attach/view document using Edge Agent. Maybe it will give you a clue what is wrong in your case.