Kinetic - SQL Server Linked Server

1. Move from Crystal Reports to SSRS
  2. Create a Recursive CTE in BAQ Designer
  3. Report Data Definition in Epicor lets you create BAQ Reports and link multiple tables, BAQ is powerful enough to recurse 100 levels if done right in less than 20 seconds.

Overall the Report Data Definition Designer, still isnt crazy powerful for mixing out-of-the-box RDD and BAQs… But what you are asking has been done and can be done with the tools available.

In 10 years, I have NEVER done a SQL View or Stored Procedure, It is much easier to do so, but working within the toolchain always worked.

Worst case you write out the data to CSV from BAQs and have Powershell do some reporting, but I havent hit that complexity yet either.

https://www.epiusers.help/search?q=recursive%20%40hkeric.wci

Note: Hierarchy Column

3 Likes

On another note I was told by Epicor CAM that they now offer a Readonly Database with SQL Access for on-prem to read their data. I never asked for additional info.

1 Like

They do, and it is real time. You can get OBDC access. I don’t know how expensive it is.

I wouldn’t go that route unless I absolutely had to though, and even then I’d be migrating.

I think @JeffLeBert at one point had a vision that every RDD would just become a BAQ in a few years and eliminate the old RDD ways… but they do run alot of Server-Side Internal .dll logic, that is not always easy to replicate in BAQ.

1 Like

A lot of that can be done with custom code on the GetList in a UBAQ.
(LINQ etc)

I know you know that, but just noting it here for others.

My “vision” was that new reports would be written using BAQs. :wink:

Electronic Interfaces was the primary way of adding custom code to a report when using BAQs. @klincecum, good point about using UBAQ instead. I haven’t played with the combination of UBAQ and BAQ reports.

1 Like

I have, but to be honest, it was I was too stupid at the time to know how to
get what I wanted out of the designer.

It works though, so I’m not gonna fix it.

1 Like

That’s no reason to not try! It would be so wonderful to see it all done in a BAQ instead of having to decompile .dlls to try and get at the logic!

:face_vomiting:

1 Like