KKR explores $5 billion sale of Epicor Software - sources

1 Like

Yupā€¦ 6 years. And no I donā€™t have a masters. Just a BS in Electrical Engineering.

High school was a breeze for me. I never studied. Then when I got to college, the first semester was pretty much like high school (I had AP Physics and Calc in high school). Then the second semester kicked my ass. I also didnā€™t realize that everyone else in Drexelā€™s engineering programs were the tops of their class too. I couldnā€™t coast by like I did in high school.

And for full disclosure, Drexel was a 5 year school. So taking 6 years was only 20% more. Unlike those losers that took 5 years in a 4 year program. Thatā€™s 25% more :wink:

1 Like

Just to remind those who havenā€™t seen Animal House, when the fraternity was expelled:

Bluto : Christ! Seven years of college down the drain. Might as well join the f***ing Peace Corps!

Separately, I was on the five year plan because I switched from Physics to Math and Comp Sci.

2 Likes

Ok guys, Iā€™m going to do an impromptu session tomorrow morning at 9am Est. If youā€™re interested in joining, Iā€™ll post a meeting link here about 15 min beforehand.

Anyone NOT ok with Teams? I might still have an active gotomeeting account :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s ok, I crammed 4 years of college into 5. And still didnā€™t end up using my major.

1 Like

Teams Link - (deleted)
Questions, and possibly answers to those questions :slight_smile:

EDIT: This went well, sorry if I talked too much :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you @MikeGross!!! you are awesome

2 Likes

Thanks @josecgomez, my pleasure to give back to the group. And thanks all for the feedback in the Teams chat window. If you want more info/time on the subject just reach out. :slight_smile:

@gpayne, @jeowings, @chaddb, @Doug.C (nice to meet you to!), @ckrusen, and @amaragni

5 Likes

It was really good information. I am able to picture some of our processes and I can finally link them to what I think should happen in DocStar.

One of the things I thought of is we use Bartender to label some of our receipts based on job/SO links. I may start spitting out an identifying label on all receipts that the receiving team can throw on these packslips so when they scan into the source folder the OCR will be able to route outside documents to those receipts.

Thanks again for sharing with the group!

This sounds like what we are thinking about too!!! We receive items that we really should records as Lot numbers, with their own attachments ( a mill spec certification sheet for eachā€™ thingā€™) and scanning those via the barcode would be really easy too!

Glad I could help spark some ideas @Doug.C!

Now ā€¦ can you send some time my way? I seem to have misplaced about 6 hours.

2 Likes

Wish I could have attended :frowning: Just could not find a way to fit into schedule.

@josecgomez We are implementing with GoLive beginning Oct. Full DocStar/Ancora, APR, Service Connect, QuickShip only thing I know we not doing out the gate is payroll that is through ADP.

1 Like

We just went live in March and DocStar was and still is a huge struggle. It is not integrated into various E10 areas like Inspection Processing. We purchased the ECM but they would not give us import rights or any workflow functionality for all out documents because we did not buy AP.

It has been super messy trying work with anyone to fix anything. I have submitted bugs, but E10 and the DocStar teams point fingers at each other about whoā€™s fault it is. Apparently DocStar cannot access anything in E10 that is a SQL View ā€œbecause it is a virtual tableā€. Anyway we are seriously looking for a more open transparent document management system if anyone has suggestions.

@CSmith - do you want to have a chat about some things? Iā€™m open for knowledge sharing all the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mike_M - Sounds like your situation has some problems. Iā€™ll agree that the Epicor development team hasnā€™t fully assimilated the Docstar code into their cycle of sprints, and I know they have a good size backlog. Iā€™ve had good success with them doing a few one-offs for some bugs (like LDAP integration) that made it into the latest release, so I know theyā€™re working on stuff.

As for importing documents, there is a licensing ā€˜thingā€™ when using OCR, but the Docstar client process handles all the batch importing you want to do. Iā€™m working through 100k documents now and not using Ancora/OCR for any of it because Iā€™m bringing in the metadata via CSV and XML.

But your other two comments have me intrigued as to how you are trying to use it. Docstar is never ā€˜integratedā€™ into Epicor other than how many hooks Epicor has for Attachments. Itā€™s always been a one-way street with ERP -> ECM. Docstar allows for pushing back attachment links and querying for data inside Epicor (for use in Metadata or workflows). I do this stuff all over the place.

Epicor has attachment links in DMR/Corrective Actions, ECO, Equipment Maintenance plans, Inspection Attributes and Results, Maintenance Requests, PartRev Inspection Plans and about 100 more. When you create a document type and associate it with one of those entities, the link is built into Docstar and youā€™re ready to go.

As for accessing SQL data inside Epicor and ā€˜virtual tablesā€™, Iā€™m wondering what you mean because you set up the DataLinks, and they are pure SQL, so ANY object inside the database is fair game. I do this a lot as well.

And if youā€™ve got the workflow modules and maybe forms, thereā€™s not much you canā€™t do.

Iā€™d really like to chat with you and see whatā€™s going on. I know a few of the guys on yesterdayā€™s call got some great ideas from my examples and our conversation, perhaps we could do that same.

1 Like

Thank you Mike

2 Likes

@MikeGross I would appreciate a chat once I have a few more things to talk over. I find often I gain insights by following along on other issues and the framework becomes more clear for me. Thank you for your kind offer!!

1 Like

Sounds like they are close to finding their buyer.

1 Like

They donā€™t have a single tech company in their portfolio. But then again, Koch Industries bought Inforā€¦

Looks like a done deal.