Language and Format Culture settings in User Acct Maint

Does it matter if the language setting is blank? And if it is blank, does it then read the language from a global setting, or possibly the workstation?

What exactly does the Format Culture “Invariant Language (Invariant Country)” mean? We’re a US based company, so should we change it to “English(United States)”?

While the Language dropdown can be blank, deleting the text in the Format Culture dropdown, changes it to the “Invariant …” setting

I think it uses the workstation but we don’t ever leave it blank. We always set the language/culture but especially when it does not match the “server” or “home” language.

When calling .Net conversion routines, I’ve found it it best to use the Invariant there and it uses the Windows User culture. This gives very predictable results.

System.Convert.ToDecimal(s, System.Globalization.CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

or

Decimal.TryParse(s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles.Any, System.Globalization.CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, out decValue)

Mark W.

2 Likes

We do the same as @Mark_Wonsil (especially with the function calls - inside the Configurator must be invariant to deal with the decimal/comma differences in Europe), but we also have the Dutch stuff installed, so it helps the system determine who/what to show our folks over there. My last company was only US, so we left it all blank and everything worked…

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Wonsil and @MikeGross.

I should have been more specific and said that we’re solely a US company. We do buisness around the world, but all of the users of E10 are in the US (save for one that works remotely from an office in Canada- the English speaking part)

1 Like