Location for Crystal Reports for different environments

Unless I’m mistaken, all the App instances (Production, Pilot, Test, etc…) use the same folder for crystal reports. My case it’s c:\EpicorData\CustomReports on the App server.

Is there a setting in the company config where I can set this folder, or at least add on to it?

Or should I make sub folders for each environment, and then add that folder name to the path in the Report Style Maintenance?

Like putting all the CR .rpts for the Test environment (app name TST_102300)in
c:\EpicorData\CustomReports\TST_102300\
and

The later would be a pain when a report being developed in test needs to be implemented in the Prod environment. And when Prod is copied to test, all the CR rpts in Test now point to the .rpt’s in c:\EpicorData\CustomReports\PRD_102300\

I think you’ll have to make sub-folders.

Per KB0029400
ERP 10.1+, Crystal rpt files must be located in the epicordata\customreports folder on the ERP server
(where \epicorserver is the name of your ERP server).

@ckrusen - here is what you are looking for. The Server/Client directories in this image.
We use epicordata and epicordatatest accordingly for our instances that way I can be modifying Crystal reports/RDDs in Test without affecting Prod.

The method you are describing is similar to what I used to do when I was still working with E9. I didn’t create subfolders. I just changed the file name. For instance, JobTrav_1, Job_Trav_2, JobTrav_3, etc. You will have to set the report style in your dev environment to the new revision. Then when you copy over the report style to Production, the new version of your report is already there and you wont have to remember to update the style before you move it.

But it’s been a long time since I’ve worked with crystal.

1. So I could set the Server Data Directory to ...\epicordata_TST in the Sys Agent in my test environment, and anything that normally resides in ...\epicordata would go there?
    (assuming I created that ..._TST directory and shared it properly)

And semi-related Q’s …

In my Sys Agent setup, the Server Data Dir uses the drive:path format (ex: C:\EpicorData), where you use the URL and a share (ex: \\episerver\EpicorData)

The help says that either are acceptable. Is there a reason you specify the URL and share? And as a follow-up question, when using a URL, should one always use the full domain name (like \\episerver.mycompany.com) over just the computer name (\\episerver) ?

The help for the Client Data Directory setting says to use either:
\\<UNCName>\EpicorData\ or
\\<servername>\EpicorData\ (we use this)

jeromy - That’s pretty much what I do in our E10.1.400 deployment. I actually didn’t set different directories for the SSRS. So all Apps pulled from the same set of RDL “files”. I would open the one I want to change, and save it as the next rev suffix (actually, I use a date code like _20190919a). Then do my testing in the Test App. Once i’m satisfied, I’d just use Report Style in the Production App, to update the filename that the style uses.

Since were migrating to 10.2.300 (on new servers as well), I’d set them up to isolate the Apps, by using specific directories in the SSRS setup, and for the handful of Crystal Reports we still use.

1 Like

Yes, this change is part of my Prod-To-Test SQL script to update this field each time a move a copy of Prod to Test. And yes, my EpicorData and EpicorTest directories are mirror images, except for the few RPT files that are in development.

We found that the data directory was best served as a share that was accessible by everyone as we store some custom files and installation pre-reqs in there - and actually I believe that the ‘first time’ installation guide says that this folder should be a share. Once it’s a share, I just prefer all references to it (or a folder within) are always FULL UNC paths. In this example, I know if the ‘server’ and ‘client’ folders are in the same place rather than having to check.

I don’t think having the full UNC path really matters if your DNS is properly set up and being used by all of your clients. We have some VPN users and had trouble with the DNS so we just use full UNC ALL the time.

1 Like