Looking for easy access to job travelers for all current jobs

Happy Friday,

I’m trying to determine if what I’m looking for already exists in Epicor.

We recently created a new version of one of our crystal Job Traveler definitions with QR codes for the ops, which is working well.

Now, the company wants a single source so to speak of all of their current jobs, so that folks on the shop floor can easily scan their progress without having to keep track of paper travelers.

Their first thought was to automate sending a .pdf of the traveler to a local folder when the job gets entered and then clear it out when the the job gets closed. That seems possible but inelegant and what happens if something needs to change?

I pushed back on that a little, but I’m struggling to come up with a good solution.

I thought maybe there is something out of the box - Job Status Maintenance is sort of close, as is Shop Tracker. But I’m really just looking for a quick list of current jobs where they can access the traveler within a click or two. Does this already exist or do I need to build it?

What kind of hardware do they have near them already that you can make use of?

Does it need to be a physical copy of the traveler or could they work digitally?

We’re going digital here. They want everything on one screen.

Also I should have omitted the part about Crystal. Since this company is mostly already on Kinetic (web) I should make an SSRS version of their traveler and make this solution available in Kinetic. I’m sure someone has come up with a good way to manage on-screen travelers.

1 Like

There are plenty of folks who have written code to do a submittoagent to run the job traveler as a print preview. Search the forum for “submittoagent.”

The three clicks that it takes are just the person specifying the job, the print action to get the slider panel out, and then the actual print preview click.

@hmwillett has a few post invoking functions from a form so you may be able use those and build a function to print preview the job traveler.

Thank you looking into this now.

I realized I should have added at the start for clarity that we added the QR codes because they wanted to scan on-screen and their scanners wouldn’t read the bar codes.

What about using the Work queue in MES?
It lists the jobs/operations by priority.

1 Like

Hmm. Maybe add the QR code to the work queue as a layer?

I should have also explained that the QR code is just concatenated job/op seq. that they’re using for a third party integration to do everything via REST, so they don’t typically use MES directly. But that’s an interesting thought.

1 Like

I don’t know the ins and out of kinetic well enough to know if it would work there, but if I were to do this in classic, I would do this with a dashboard instead of a report. They can find their thing, you display your QR code and skip the whole printing part of it. Why go through the printing queue when you don’t need/want the paper anyways?

2 Likes

That’s what I was trying to ascertain as well. But now I understand it. @Conley.TUC has the QR code on a report already and wants to leverage the existing object that has the QR code.

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct and I am really just communicating terribly.

I just need to leverage the QR code and make it easily accessible on one screen.

1 Like

In the past I’ve used the URL view panel in dashboards. I passed in what content I wanted on the URL to a site, and it returned a QR code for me on the screen. I don’t remember which site it was, but they are out there. You should be able to do that in kinetic as well.

2 Likes

Like this site.

https://barcode.tec-it.com/barcode.ashx?data=YourInfoHere&code=QRCode

2 Likes

Thanks for your help all. I’ll get to work.

1 Like

Nice @Banderson !