Mostly a rant, but also about DMT and UOM

Part 1: The rant

A few times lately in tickets with Epicor Support, I’m reporting a bug and they respond with

KB0074830 - Using Screencast-O-Matic to Record Steps to Reproduce for Support

I did explain the issue in the original ticket, and I think it’s plenty clear enough. So I already have no desire to do more work to walk someone through this.

Moreover, this is a bug and I found out how to work around it (answer: lie to the system). It’s not my problem. Like, if this is too much work, I’ll just give up and not report it, and just be annoyed.

Please don’t make it more difficult for me to help Epicor fix their own system.

Part 2: The issue

DMT for “Return Material” is ignoring any UOM that I enter in.

To plagiarize myself:

We issued 132 inches (11 feet) of a part.

• Tried to return 66 inches of it via DMT.
  • The DMT errored saying cannot return more than was issued.
  • Well, last I checked, 66 < 132.
  • Tried it in the UI (not a DMT) and it worked fine.
  • Then it hit me - it’s trying to return 66 feet instead of 66 inches. And I had specified inches in the DMT.
  • I had a few more parts like this where I was returning half of the quantity (all in inches), so I divided them all by 12, and then it worked fine.

So… this sounds like a bug. I can’t seem to set the UOM properly in the DMT for Return Material.

5 Likes

IMG_3588

1 Like

By lately do you mean the last 10 years lol.

Well I did not do research or anything, and I know you are being funny, but I feel like this is a recent thing. I’ve been asked for steps to reproduce the problem, because duh. But what is this screencast-o-matic program? Is it common outside of Epicor?

@ckrusen

Come back!

I am proud to have been bestowed the “Who moved my cheese” badge a while back, so I think I am filling your place in part (see rant above). But you are missed here.

So, what, do you have some email notification when “UOM” appears in a post title?

Hell no. Been bugging me with that nonsense for years. Maybe not 10 years but many years. If they insist I just do a teams meeting with myself and record it. It is truly aggravating when I have already taken the time to document steps to reproduce and its clear they haven’t even tried.

I think it’s another standard thing that they say without bothering to read or look at your issue. I use ScreenToGIF and send them with my issues and they still usually send me the stuff about Screencast-O-Matic

I am wondering if this is why my DMT for quantity adjust isn’t working and is saying I will result in Negative quantites when it clearly will not. :thinking:

Maybe this should be a separate thread? I’ve been bothering support about this for a long time and have been thinking about making a post. It’s looking like correcting KB’s is a lot harder than creating them.

Anyway, the KB they’ve pointed me to is dated five years ago, when screencast-o-matic was the first result when googling something like “how to screen recording”. Once in the KB, it’s canon.

Since then, screencast-o-matic (the brand) has changed hands. The KB link now redirects to another domain, where you can download a similar installer. A redirecting link to unprovenanced online software, installed on company assets, which records user activity, including keystrokes, can run in the background, and does substantial telemetry. What could go wrong?

I’ve been flagging this as potentially harmful advice to support every time it’s suggested. Especially given that Windows has included multiple screen recording features since before this KB existed.

3 Likes

Hi Jason,
On screen casting and that totally security-blind inane KB response, one quick hack I’ve used is avoid additional software installations/ and work within what I’ve got installed and blessed by the CIO/CTO/CSO, is to create a mtg in Teams, Zoom, WebEx or whatever flav mtg tool that offers recording - start recording, share screen, run through the examples in Epicor and DMT, stop recording, wait for recording to finish rendering, get the file. Most times it is saved out as an mp4. Upload to Epicor support with the obligatory affidavits - that no AI deep fakery has taken place and no puppies, or other cuddly creatures were harmed in recordings.
The incongruity of recommending something like KB007483 by anyone, much less Epicor Support, defies explanation post 2001. Hey, Maybe it is an inside joke… the ERP support equivalent of “Hey Guys, hold my beer and watch this!”

On Return Material and UOM, is there any sort of custom units conversions involved between stocking uom that might ‘be in the way’ of reversing the transaction? Is it only with certain materials or certain uoms or does it happen with all of its dimension? From your description at least, it feels like there is something unique and upstream creating some sort of UOM restocking confusion. Is there any unique process associated with these problematic materials within inventory control - by way of Part Class, Part Number treatments, BPM’s, Functions etc, that could be entangling?

I did a PPT of a test case, where I made a part from scratch and a job and ran through the process.

Return Material DMT and UOMs.pptx (477.6 KB)

But in short:

I backflushed 7x of the material:

And I tried to return 4x via DMT:

The difference is the job UOM. When the job UOM is the same as the inventory UOM, there are no problems. If they differ, I get the error shown.

The point is, DMT is using IUM and not what I supply in the DMT.

2022.2.25, FYI.

Turn tracing on in DMT and look at the dataset being processed. See if UOM is even passed from the data file to the BO.

And are there any other “optional” fields (like UOM Class) in that DMT template that could be a hint to the BO to use the UOM supplied?

And regarding my appearance at the mention of UOMs…

IMG_3597

1 Like

Interesting question. Yes, but…

First mention of line 10 is in IN - this is OnChangeFromJobSeq

Next mention is in FT - this is OnChangePartNum

I mean, there never used to be… This is not the first return material DMT we have done here; we do them daily.

Guess it’s blocked. :slightly_frowning_face:

Anyway, I put in a ticket, so we’ll see what they say.

That was my first thought, that DMT is using the IUM, when I read your post about what was happening. It sounds like there isn’t a UOM conversion being called at all.

I bet it’ll be this:

Hello XYZ,

Thank you, and thank you for your feedback. You can submit feedback to Epicor Ideas. Epicor has released a customer direct to Epicor development portal where our customers can share their suggestions and thoughts about ways to improve Epicor ERP.

If there are any ideas that you may have now, or in the future, below is an article that goes through the process on how to use this portal to submit those thoughts.

Knowledge Article KB0099120 - Epicor Ideas Video

I will be setting this case to Suggested Resolution, which will keep the case open for a month. If you have further questions, please click on Reject Suggested Resolution and update the case, and I will follow up with you.

Kind regards,
EpiCare Analyst

Fire Problems GIF

1 Like