Move to Kinetic from 10.2.600, doubts and questions

Hello,

we are currently working with epicor 10.20.600, we have plans this year to migrate to Kinectic, which version do you recommend I migrate to? Additionally, our database already has more than 10 years of transactions, do you recommend migrating it or starting with a new clean Database and only load beginning balances?

I am working with a small company right now where they are going from 10.2.600 to 2022.2.8 (SaaS)

The prior consultants kept saying - you need to clean up your data before the upgrade.
They started in Oct. 2021, did their first pass with Cirrus. Nothing happened for a year.
I came in Jan. 2023, reviewed what they were doing, got a second pass 2nd week of January.
We are going live this weekend.

The conversions have been taking about 2 hours (yes, total time).
It was well worth working with Epicor to do the uplift because we didn’t have the staff or hardware to do it ourselves.

The conversion process works really well, Epicor has even done one-off conversions just for you to test the waters.

I have done the export and load with DMT for a few upgrades, but this is very labor intensive.

Bruce

I’m actually helping a client migrate from 10.1.500 to Kinetic 11.2.200 right now. So far it has been very easy. There were a few fixes to Customizations that were written by the client and not someone well versed in code for Epicor (we’ve all been that person before). However, the process was very clean. The only major gotcha was that the database upgrades needed to be installed for 10.2.700, 11.1, and the actual 11.2.200. Other than that, it worked well.
The biggest thing is to have a team or at least a couple super users that will actually test things!

The testing that @Jason_Woods mentions is the key. I did our 10.2.400 to 11.1.200 and it took a couple of hours on prem. We stayed with the classic screens and only had a couple of customizations break. Be careful uplifting custom reports that use standard RDDs. Solution workbench will bring the old standard RDD. There a conversion workbench fix for the issue, but our testing was too lax and did not include printing of all material tags from all transactions we normally do, so this was found post go live. :frowning:

I would go as close to current as you can allowing time to test.

@gpayne - when I was doing the solution sets for the custom reports, it kept prompting me to include the RDD, first pass I included them. For the final pass I did not bring over the RDD’s as you noted, some System RDD’s are different in 2022.2.8 from 10.2.600. I also edited the solution set by just deleting the RDDs.

I am surprised that the Solution set install will overwrite the system RDD’s vs creating a copy.

1 Like

@LarsonSolutions Thanks for the idea. I had not thought of scanning the solution for system RDDs and removing them.

I am going to make a solution of all of them now and have our report person convert them to using a custom RDD before our next uplift.