Multiple Company Menu Security

We made a jump from having 1 company in E10 to having 4 companies. Needless to say this is going to be somewhat of a learning curve in regards to permissions, customizations, etc.
I know in Menu Maintenance I can check the box to have a menu be available to all companies. If I uncheck it, it will be available only to the company that was active when that menu was created. Simple enough.
But, how would one go about making a menu available for 2 of the 4 companies? Would I have to create the menu twice (once in each company) and leave the ā€œAll companiesā€ box unchecked? That seems like a surefire way to make the menu maintenance way more complicated than it needs to be.
I am sure I am overlooking the obvious and there is probably a really easy way to do thisā€¦I just donā€™t see it.

I would focus more on the security groups (or the specific ā€˜denyā€™ list) for each menu item. We hide the Setup menus in each module from everyone using the security groups - they just donā€™t see the menu that way - but the menu items are all still ā€˜all companiesā€™.

Iā€™m running into the issue of a user needing access to a specific menu in 2 or 3 of the companies, and not the others. Regardless of what the security is, I canā€™t think of how this could be achieved without duplication of menus.

1 Like

Hi, We have a similar situation where by you want certain people to only to be able invoice in company A and D but need access to company B and C for other activities. The only way I have found is to create separate menus and security groups

1 Like

Agreed. I read your original post differently hence the answer, but I agree that the same menu item cannot be made visible or hidden for the same person in multiple companies without duplicating it.

Hopefully you only have a few menu items that you need do this for :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have 7 companies weā€™re working with. What weā€™re doing is creating functional roles in each company: (for example)

Company Role (group) Description
C001 C001AP AP Group from Company 1
C001 C001AR AR Group from Company 1
C001 C001Finance Finance Group from Company 1
C001 C001CS Customer Service Group from Company 1
C002 C002AP AP Group from Company 2
C002 C002AR AR Group from Company 2
C002 C002Finance Finance Group from Company 2
C002 C002CS Customer Service Group from Company 2

We have to set up different groups for each company because groups are global. Each role will have different permissions in each company. For example, C001CS can use certain dashboards and see availability in C002CS. In their own company, though, they can maintain orders add notes to customers/contacts, create cases and RMAs, etcā€¦

Then weā€™re going to create our own menu system and apply either allow/deny each program used by those roles. That way when new dashboards/applications are made available we can control which role has access to that program in each company.

It will take some time to set up, but we can use DMT which is an advantage.

1 Like

Great timeing on this post. We are live 7months and I did my best efforts to implement security with new menus. It works and weā€™re secure but I had a consultant saying the way I set things up was not the right way to do things. What the consultant did not understand is that Epicor out of the box has one key restriction i.e. the menu structure uses the same security ID across all companies therefore if you need separate access by company you need separate menu IDs. Hopefully this post will help to prove that I can setup security for the remainder of the business yet to go live. Like Doug C says itā€™s a lot of work so I only want to do once. One tip though, we creating new menus for PO Trackers you need to have access to the SQL DB as PO Entry & Tracker show exactly the same in menu maintenance but tracker has a hidden parameter in the DB you need to add. You could copy exactly the PO Tracker menu item that comes out of the box to your own menu structure but it would not be a tracker until you make a DB change:

You can add/update the Arguments column via DMT, so SQL access isnā€™t totally necessary. Plus, you can add the Arguments text box to the Menu Maintenance screen via an easy customization.