Multiple Reports in Single Report Style (PackSlip)

We have a customer that is requiring us to print a specific label for our pallets when shipping them out. This is not an issue.

We were thinking about having the shipping department select a new report style for that new label when printing Pack Slips for this specific customer. This is an issue. Apparently, the End Users cannot be bothered to select that new report style. This, to an extent, is understandable. Right now this is just for one customer, but if more and more customers start to ask for this same treatment, it’ll get really annoying, really quick.

But, concentrating on just this one customer for now: Is there a way to print both the Pack Slips and the “Customer specific” label at the same time? I could do an SSRS for the label with some conditional statements in it so that it will change the layout of the label based on the value of the Customer Field, and while quite ‘kludgy’, it would work. The issue comes into play because the Pack Slips and the Labels would need to print on different devices (a standard printer for the pack slips and a label printer for the labels).

Is there a way to go about this, or do I tell the shipping team that they really don’t have an option other than to select the new report style for now? Is this somethign that the Breaking and Routing rules can help with? I just learned of this today from this post: Report Styles with multiple Print Programs (aka Report Locations)

I’m assuming “no” since you did not mention it, but asking just in case.

Do you have BarTender?

We do, but I have little to no knowledge on how it is used, or integrated within our environment. This is the first company I have worked at that uses Bartender, and I have no previous experience with that software.

BarTender 2016 R9 is installed on my workstation (BT Designer, Admin Console, .Net SDK, Integration Builder, Print Station, etc.), but I have never done anything with it.

I would recommend trying to figure that out as BarTender would be the best tool for the job. It is not that complicated and would allow you to read the file it outputs to identify the customer and print different labels.

I would look to see if it is installed on a server somewhere. I am by no means an expert but am willing to try and help as much as I can. :man_shrugging:

It is a server based install. I know the location of where our labels are stored, and I can probably use an existing label as a ‘template’ of sorts for looking to see how the data is passed to the label for printing.

The data gets dropped to a network location that BarTender is scanning. Once it detects a file (based off of file name) it will send it through the Integration and print out the label.

I have used functions/code to drop a txt file to the server and also a BarTender Report Style that outputs the data.