New Epicor User

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea to use a UD table. Every little project is a chance to get more familiar with Epicor customization, even if you eventually replace it with something better.

Since you only need to pull the zip code when the city is entered or changed, Customer_AfterFieldChange makes sense as the triggering event. You can use the customization wizard to add a UD adapter method to fetch data (GetRows or GetList) and, if you get a result, set the zip code field of the active Customer row.

< funFact>
A Singapore postal code is six digits. The first two represent a zone/sector and the remaining four identify a particular delivery point, i.e. a building!
< /funFact >

So yes, postal codes are quite different around the world.

1 Like

Hi Ashley, thanks for the answer.
Can you please elaborate on the “add a UD adapter method to fetch data”?
I don’t fully understand

When you’re in Customization Mode, go to Tools menu, Wizards, Customization Wizards.

Then choose “Business Logic Method Call” and launch the wizard. You want the adapter for whichever UD table you’re using (if it’s UD01, choose the UD01Adapter, etc). Once you have an adapter, you’ll get a list of the methods available. Fetching data is usually a “Get” method. When you finish the wizard, it will insert code into the Script Editor as a method you can modify, then call from the Customer_AfterFieldChange event.

I would advise going through the examples in the customization guide; I’m pretty sure they have one of this wizard, as well as an example of how to set a new value in a loaded dataview. We can help if you get stuck. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the help Ashley.
I managed to get the ‘City’ value that is in the box but now I don’t understand how I can get the values of ‘Country’,‘ZIP’ and ‘State’ from the UD18 with the ‘City’ key (as identifier for the row) from the Customer Table and after insert them in the correct values of the same Customer Table.

Were you able to run the wizard to add a GetRows or GetList method to your code? Can you show me what you have so far? (Formatting Code block - #2 by hkeric.wci for info on formatting code here)

Yeah I was able to add the CallUD18AdapterGetRowsMethod() and the CallUD18AdapterGetDataMethod(). In the Customer_AfterFieldChange I recovered the ‘City’ entered by the user but I can’t find a way to use it.

private void Customer_AfterFieldChange(object sender, DataColumnChangeEventArgs args)
	{
		// ** Argument Properties and Uses **
		// args.Row["FieldName"]
		// args.Column, args.ProposedValue, args.Row
		// Add Event Handler Code	
		switch (args.Column.ColumnName)
		{
			case "City":
				MessageBox.Show("Selected City: " + args.Row["City"].ToString());
				City = args.Row["City"].ToString();
				break;
		}
	}

private void CallUD18AdapterGetRowsMethod()
	{
		try
		{
			// Declare and Initialize EpiDataView Variables
			// Declare and create an instance of the Adapter.
			UD18Adapter adapterUD18 = new UD18Adapter(this.oTrans);
			adapterUD18.BOConnect();

// Declare and Initialize Variables
			// TODO: You may need to replace the default initialization with valid values as required for the BL method call.
			Ice.Lib.Searches.SearchOptions opts = null;
			bool morePages = false;

// Call Adapter method
			System.Data.DataSet dsUD18 = adapterUD18.GetRows(opts, out morePages);

// Cleanup Adapter Reference
			adapterUD18.Dispose();

} catch (System.Exception ex)
		{
			ExceptionBox.Show(ex);
		}
	}

private void CallUD18AdapterGetDataMethod()
	{
		try
		{
			// Declare and Initialize EpiDataView Variables
			// Declare and create an instance of the Adapter.
			adapterUD18.BOConnect();

// Declare and Initialize Variables
			// TODO: You may need to replace the default initialization with valid values as required for the BL method call.
			string stringId = City;

// Call Adapter method
			System.Data.DataSet dsUD18 = adapterUD18.GetData(stringId);

// Cleanup Adapter Reference
			adapterUD18.Dispose();

} catch (System.Exception ex)
		{
			ExceptionBox.Show(ex);
		}
	}

I would offer a simple search wizard instead. It is a wizard that writes all the code for you except the “whereClause”.

I’m not sure how the GetData method is meant to work, to be honest. Brace yourself for a lot of experimenting when it comes to Epicor methods.

Someone else might pop in with additional info on performance, but I’d use the GetByID method, and tell the wizard you’re going to pass in the parameter. You’ll notice this method doesn’t give you a dataset at all. The data is loaded into the adapter itself. You can explore methods and properties of the adapter under Tools, Object Explorer.

So under the “City” case in your switch statement, you’re going to call the generated method and pass the city in, like CallUD18AdapterGetByIDMethod(args.Row["City"].ToString()).

Now, what the wizard screws up in the GetByID method is that UD tables have 5 keys. It won’t find any results if you only pass in one. So update the line under // Call Adapter method like this: bool result = adapterUD18.GetByID(stringId,string.Empty,string.Empty,string.Empty,string.Empty);

Add an if-statement to verify result is true so you don’t throw an index error when you access the data, which is available like this: adapterUD18.UD18Data.Tables[0].Rows[0]["Character01"].ToString()

Does Java have out parameters? That might be the simplest way to bring back three values. So here’s some rough code:

private void Customer_AfterFieldChange(object sender, DataColumnChangeEventArgs args)
{
    switch (args.Column.ColumnName){
        case "City":
            string country;
            string state;
            string zip;
            if (GetUD18Data(args.Row["City"].ToString(), out country, out state, out zip)){
                args.Row["Country"] = country;
                args.Row["State"] = state;
                args.Row["Zip"] = zip;
                oTrans.Update(); // optional, depending on your workflow. it will attempt to save the row with the new values
            }
            break;
    }
}

private bool GetUD18Data(string city, out string country, out string state, out string zip)
{
    adapterUD18.BOConnect();

bool result = adapterUD01.GetByID(stringId,string.Empty,string.Empty,string.Empty,string.Empty);
    if(result){
        country = adapterUD18.UD18Data.Tables[0].Rows[0]["ShortChar01"].ToString();
        state = adapterUD18.UD18Data.Tables[0].Rows[0]["ShortChar02"].ToString();
        zip = adapterUD18.UD18Data.Tables[0].Rows[0]["ShortChar03"].ToString();
    }    
    adapterUD18.Dispose();
    return result;
}

The Wizard I mentioned simplifies the code requirements:

private void SearchOnUD01AdapterShowDialog()
	{
		// Wizard Generated Search Method
		// You will need to call this method from another method in custom code
		// For example, [Form]_Load or [Button]_Click

bool recSelected;
		string whereClause = string.Empty; //Add your own filter
		System.Data.DataSet dsUD01Adapter = Ice.UI.FormFunctions.SearchFunctions.listLookup(this.oTrans, "UD01Adapter", out recSelected, false, whereClause); //changed this to "false" to prevent the popup to search being visible.
		if (recSelected)
		{
			System.Data.DataRow adapterRow = dsUD01Adapter.Tables[0].Rows[0];

// Map Search Fields to Application Fields
			EpiDataView edvAbcCode = ((EpiDataView)(this.oTrans.EpiDataViews["AbcCode"]));
			System.Data.DataRow edvAbcCodeRow = edvAbcCode.CurrentDataRow;
			if ((edvAbcCodeRow != null))
			{
				edvAbcCodeRow.BeginEdit();
				edvAbcCodeRow["ShipToCustNum"] = adapterRow["Character01"];
				edvAbcCodeRow.EndEdit();
			}
		}
	}

Not sure how that’s simpler. He still needs the field change event handler to trigger the search. If he brings back the values he needs, he can take advantage of args.Row in that method for updating fields, rather than initializing another EpiDataView within a method that should only fetch data.

Though he could try setting country, state, and zip as objects rather than strings and skip some conversion.

The “simpler” part is that you are using a smaller method (GetList vs GetByID) and depending on the table you are accessing, the search returns less data too (potentially faster). Additionally, the code is build for you so you don’t have to know all of the functions. This also doesn’t create a new EpiDataView, but should only reference the existing one. You will need the Field Change Event either way.

I tried a UD GetList in the BL tester and it brought back all columns, so I figured it wouldn’t make much difference. However, I see that GetByID brings back an attachment table, too.

Leo, if you want to use the GetList method, your where clause would be “key1 = '” + city + “’” (or your string concatenation/interpolation of choice). Should evaluate to Key1 = 'Milan' for example. It was very slightly slower for me when I included Key2 = '' and Key3 = '' and... but probably insignificant.

Here I am again, I tried both of your codes without success tho.

When I tried @Ashley’s:

{
		{
			case "City":
				string country;
				string state;
				string zip;
				if (GetUD18Data(args.Row["City"].ToString(), out country, out state, out zip)) {
					args.Row["Country"] = country;
					args.Row["State"] = state;
					args.Row["Zip"] = zip;
					oTrans.Update();
				}
				break;
		}
	}

private bool GetUD18Data(string city, out string country, out string state, out string zip) 
	{
		adapterUD18.BOConnect();
		bool result = adapterUD18.GetByID(stringId, string.Empty, string.Empty, string.Empty, string.Empty);
		if(result) {
			country = adapterUD18.UD18Data.Tables[0].Rows[0]["ShortChar01"].ToString();
			state = adapterUD18.UD18Data.Tables[0].Rows[0]["ShortChar02"].ToString();
			zip = adapterUD18.UD18Data.Tables[0].Rows[0]["ShortChar03"].ToString();
		}
		adapterUD18.Dispose();
		return result;
	}

It didn’t work cause “The name stringId does not exist in the current context”

I tried @Jason_Woods code too:

{	
		{
			case "City":
				SearchOnUD01AdapterShowDialog();
				break;
		}
	}
	private void SearchOnUD18AdapterShowDialog() {
		bool recSelected;
		string whereClause = "'" + City + "'";
		System.Data.DataSet dsUD18Adapter = Ice.UI.FormFunctions.SearchFunctions.listLookup(this.oTrans, "UD18Adapter", out recSelected, false, whereClause);
		if (recSelected) {
			System.Data.DataRow adapterRow = dsUD18Adapter.Tables[0].Rows[0];
			EpiDataView edvAbcCode = ((EpiDataView)(this.oTrans.EpiDataViews["AbcCode"]));
			System.Data.DataRow edvAbcCodeRow = edvAbcCode.CurrentDataRow;
			if ((edvAbcCodeRow != null)) {
				edvAbcCodeRow.BeginEdit();
				edvAbcCodeRow["City"] = adapterRow["Chracter01"];
				edvAbcCodeRow.EndEdit();
			}
		}
	}

The code succesfully compiles but in the Customer section if I try to change the Customer.City it throws me 'The process caller failed to invoke method InvokeSearch in Ice.Lib.Searches.EpiSearchEngine in Ice.Lib.EpiClientLib.dll

Also I have a new doubt now (how conveninent from me).
I know that my UD18 table has 5 keys, but I added from UserCode (and UD column manteniance) my custom fields for city, state, zip, country. So when I tried to add from the DMT my values I needed to set a table like this.

Company Key1 Key2 Key3 Key4 Key5 City_c State_c Zip_c Country_c

Is this wrong? Do I need to use the Key values for my custom fields?

If you are using Custom Fields (not needed, but easier to read), you must use @Ashley version.
Change “stringID” to “city” (without quotes).

Hi @Jason_Woods, I did what you wrote but now I need to 'Assign the out parameters ‘country’ ‘state’ and ‘zip’ before control leaves the current method. I tried to move all the declaration of the strings (in the afterfieldchange) in the main function but that didn’t work.

So i tried to add an else statement on the if(result) of the GetUD18Data in which i set my strings to “”.
The code now compiles but I’m not sure if the correct thing to do.

I tried to change Customer.City and everytime it throws a “Record not found”.

Do you have other values in your key fields? If so, you can’t use a GetByID…
Also, I see in the code you used ShortChar01-03 if that is the case (instead of Country_c, etc), the InvokeSearch is better.
In the end, it sounds like you may need more individual help with the data and code.

Leo, for my version, you have to replace ‘stringId’ with ‘city’. My bad.

I was assuming you were using Key1 as your city field, is that correct?

Hi sorry for the late reply
I created a city_c field in the UD18 for the ‘City’. My table is like this:

Company Key1 Key2 Key3 Key4 Key5 City_c State_c Zip_c Country_c

I entered field Key1 as City, Key2 as Country, Key3 as State and Key4 as Zip too.

I managed to did it with the SearchOnUD18AdapterShowDialog.
Thanks all!