Non-stock item

Hello everyone,

In what cases are non-stock items used?
If I just check Non-stock items in part maintenance, do I not need other settings?
Thank you in advance!

Non-stock is a setting that defaults how demand for that part is fulfilled.
If the part is placed on a sales order, it will be flagged to either be make to order or bought to order.
When a non-stock is placed on a bill of material and is not pull as assembly, it is make to job or buy direct to the job.
When the part is placed on a bill of material it will default to be pull as assembly if it is a manufactured part and it will come into a job as a subassembly.

Non-stock does not limit you from placing excess parts into inventory, but they typically do not go through inventory.

Note that a part on the fly also works just like Non-stock except for the fact that they cannot be be on a engineered BOM or placed into inventory.

Lastly, for a part to be a phantom BOM, it needs to be a Non-stock item.

3 Likes

We are thinking about how to handle parts that do not manage inventory in Epicor.
(Parts that should not appear in the inventory report)
Is there any way to do that? (A method of doing stock-and-delivery transactions but not appearing in inventory)

Make it non-stock and non qty bearing item

2 Likes

Come to think of it, I already knew the qty bearing feature.
Thanks for reminding me.

What is the best way to get non stock part costs to job or std cost?
How to add cost to non stock part to be included in manufactured cost?

You issue them just like stock parts. The non-stock vs. stock is just for MRP to plan them. Non-stock generally come buy direct to the job, but you can issue them if you choose to do that instead.

1 Like

Thanks, kind of obvious now that I read it :slight_smile: Backflush is also possible if setup, but buy direct is better option.

Buy direct has it’s caveats though. It gets received directly into WIP (so no locating in inventory). And once you do that, your job has transactions on it, so if you get stuff early, you get stuck if you need to make changes. Also, the costing numbers only get updated when things go into inventory, so for some people, that’s a problem.

If those things don’t bother you, then buy direct is nice a clean and skips a bunch of steps. You just have to be aware of the caveats.

2 Likes