Online Help via Epicor URL or your App Server?

Do most of you use the Epicor URL (like https://help.epicor.com/102300), or host the help on your App Server (like: http://usdxxxx00371/UAT_102300-Help)?

I get that the Epicor one will always be up to date, while self hosting requires you manually update it when updates are available.

But the results seem very different. In the pict below, the help with the lime green toolbar is for our test environment, and uses a hosted help on our App server. It seems to always limit the results to a maximum of 50. Not that I usually find what Iā€™m looking for that far down in the results.

Epicor URL Help - Search results for ā€œPart Classā€

And hereā€™s the results for the same search for self hosted help

The first four results from the Epicor hosted help donā€™t seem to be very helpful (act 2 duplicates?)

We use the hosted one, works fine havenā€™t had issues and its always up to date. Frankly most people donā€™t use the helpā€¦ only I do LoL

4 Likes

And clicking the link for the first result in the Epicor hosted help yields:

Iā€™d have thought that the Part Class Maintenance topic should be the most relevant result. Not something as specific (and advanced) as PartTran Posting Codes.

Search is Search and Search is Dumb, it just finds those words my guess is your hosted version doesnā€™t have an entry for Part Class post Code and so it didnā€™t return it?

1 Like

My hosted help does. (had to use a search for COSandWIP Part Class Posting code to find it).

Is it expected that typical users ever use the Help? Or is it more for the super-users / admins?

I like it when our person in charge of materials wants to know why a PO didnā€™t process as they expected, and use the help to find out why. If they run across a term in the help for the PO Entry App, (like ā€˜Part Classā€™), and want to learn more about part classes, they are going to just search for Part Class.

Those comparisons and findings are definitely interesting. We use the Epicor hosted help. Iā€™m just too lazy to go through deploying the Help anymore on my own when all I have to do is plug in the URL link and viola! And it stays ā€œup-to-dateā€ as much as possible. Like Jose said, Iā€™m the only one who uses it anyways and Iā€™ve always been able to find what I need using the Epicor hosted help search. :wink: I just hope it doesnā€™t make a habit of going down like it did the other day when Haso discovered it not working. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@ckrusen or @ERPSysAdmin or @josecgomez where can I find the correct link to update my company maintenance so that it points the online help?

Never mind, finally found it on Epic Web, just updated the release to 500:

2 Likes