Opinion Service Connect or External app

I am investigating a way to pull PDM output into Epicor part and BOMs. I am just curious if I need to look at service connect harder or continue with what I know. I can use the DLLs to create parts, BOMs, and Modify as necessary but I have never used service connect and I am wondering if Service Connect is the better choice. Currently I believe we are looking at having the information Exported as a CSV file. Opinions and thoughts are appreciated.

Service connect has some niceties, but it’s slow and cumbersome. I
personally prefer to stick with apps unless service connect is required.

Andrew Fagan
afagan@sonasgrp.com
617-335-0505

We use CadLink. It’s not perfect, but it reads both ways so you can compare which is huge on catching issues with revision changes. They can customize it for you ($) and that’s nice. We use a combination of customization from them and BPM’s to get it to do what we need it to do. We had a service connect workflow set up, and it was great for the initial creation, but after that, we spent a lot of time manually making changes.

I currently do not have any connections set up, but when I need to I am going to use SSIS. It’s free and does not look overly hard to learn.

Service Connect is just fine for a simple solution, error handling is a hassle, but if you are just importing CSV’s it won’t be a bad choice. The nice thing about SC is that it requires no coding, but that’s also the downside of it. You have no ability to change its behavior so it does what it does and that is it.
I would definitely recommend checking out SC if you don’t want to maintain code.

1 Like