Opportunity / Quote Entry screen

We have to create Quotes with:

1. A large number of parts - eg QuoteDtl lines
  2. A large number of price breaks - eg QuoteQty lines

Unfortunately this is time consuming - has anyone come up with a process to speed up / automate this process.
Roberto.

1 Like

Some performance issues were fixed in quote entry in 10.2.400. Otherwise, the only tip I have is to leave “Ready To Process” unchecked before you’re done creating lines.

I’ve spent a large amount of time over several months on something like this, and it hasn’t been simple. I suspect little of it is transferrable to other situations, unfortunately, too.

The Epicor Quote system is cumbersome because it appears to include elements of almost everything else that is possible to do within the whole system. Speeding it up mostly involves finding ways to leave some of that complication out, and every company will have different parts they do and don’t use. For example, we simplified by leaving out most of the QuoteQty functionality, which you need.

For what it’s worth, our overall approach was:

• Build a uBAQ to hold the transactional details of the quote. That allowed us to pick and choose which methods and actions were called at what times and isolate what we needed and when they happened.
  • Build a new screen to interact with this uBAQ with as much of the necessary calculation happening as possible live within the UI so as not to need server calls until saving.
  • Add ALL the information that users were looking up elsewhere in the system to the same screen and have it switch what they see depending on which action they’re taking.
  • Automate everything that happens the same every time.

We’re almost there, and it’s telling that most users have preferred to work in the unreliable beta version of the new screen rather than plod through the standard Epicor one, but it’s been a mammoth task and you need to be very sure it’s worth embarking on - I’m not sure I’d have agreed to it for us if I’d known how much it would take.

Hi @dhewi, Would you mind sharing a little more details on this and how you achieved this? I am also trying to do something like this lately. Maybe you can share UBAQ as an example? :slight_smile:

Thank you.

1 Like

@itsme – Honestly, the best advice I can give in retrospect is: don’t do it.

Mine did work and serves its purpose, but it was far more complicated to do than I’d allowed for and may have taken years off my life in stress. It does make me think that Epicor really should do a Quote-Lite module in parallel, though, that is faster and simpler to work with, for those who don’t need the entire system in one entity.

In essence, the version we ended up with has one BAQ for each part of the quote that was needed: header, lines and misc, plus some other custom ones to show data the users needed as they were quoting. And they’re all in a custom dashboard.

1 Like

I would recommend DMT. You can bulk upload lots of data with the data management tool. It is an extra cost, but well worth it if you ever plan on modifying large chunks of data at once.

I was talking to John Driggers at Six S and John mentioned that Epicor had some type of tool for entering large amounts of data into order entry or quote entry… maybe you could reach out to them?

Thank you big brains for your kind input. Much appreciated!! @dhewi, @utaylor and @NateS.

I didn’t knew I was about to take this much pain. DMT was something I thought of earlier but I am still not convinced to give that much authorization to Quotation people. But thank you for the suggestion and looks like the only option if my company say no to SixS($$$) :rofl:.

1 Like