Opportunity/Quote Entry

So I am wondering, if you duplicate an old quote, which pulls in operations and everything into the mfg details, is there a way to change the operation numbers without deleting them and adding new? Or is there a way to copy an operation. I am looking to change my operation numbers to a standardized set of numbers so they are always the same, but old/already entered orders are giving me trouble because there is already operations in the quote. It works well when I get a new part because I am making my own operations. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Emily,

You should be able to right-click on Operations in the tree and select Resequence Operations in Quote Entry > Line > Manufacturing > Details >Quote Details. That will resequence the ops by 10s (10, 20, 30, etc.)

Is there a way to just edit the operation number to change it to what i want because the normal spot to change the operation numgber is greyed out when there is operations already made in the quote?

Are you looking to reorder the operations such as changing the current operation 20 to be Operation 10 and the current operation 10 to be operation 20?

No, I currently have 10, 20, 30, 40 but want the numbers to just change to 10, 30, 65, and 70. I am trying to make sequential operations that never change their number so for instance, “qualtity control” is always operation 65. I’m good when I have to make a new quote because I am adding the operations myself. I’m only having issues with already prepared quotes that I have to reopen and try to change. I cannot change an operation number without just making new operations and copy and pasting all the information from the comments.

Ah, I don’t know of a way to do that other than possibly by creating a BPM.

I would warn against putting too much logic in the sequence number like this. What is the sequence telling you that the opcode/description isn’t?

I’ve seen people go down this route before, and it ends up backing you into a corner that’s difficult to unravel. You’ll also discover more and more scenarios where changes to the sequence will be outside of your control.

2 Likes

Beth,
How do you reorder the operations such as changing the current operation 20 to be Operation 10 and the current operation 10 to be operation 20?

Roland, if you just have a few to reorder, you can do it by, in this example, manually change Op20 to Op11, then change Op10 to Op20, then change Op11 to Op10.

If you have a bunch to change, manually change the numbers to be in the order you want (I use 01, 02, 03, 04, etc.) then as Beth noted above, you can right-click on Operations in the tree and select Resequence Operations in Quote Entry > Line > Manufacturing > Details >Quote Details. That will resequence the ops by 10s (10, 20, 30, etc.).

I must be missing something. My operation numbers are grayed out. It appears I can’t manually change them. This is in an opportunity/quote which is not quoted yet. The line item is not marked as engineered yet. In this state I can edit the engineering of the line item on the quote, but I can’t change the order of the operations by manually changing 20 to 11 for instance. Is there a company setting to allow or disallow this? We are early in our implementation stage.

Our quote screen shows the same - the Operation can only be edited when a new operation is added but the number cannot be changed on a saved record

@Roland-H
Unfortunately, you can’t change the operation numbers manually. What you would have to do is to add a new operation with the information from Operation 20 as Operation 5. Then you would need to delete the old operation 20. Once that is done, then you could resequence the operations and it would make Op 5 be Op 10 and Op 10 would become Op 20. Does that make sense?

@Beth , That is unfortunate. Yes, your process does make sense. The step of deleting can be a problem if a material is linked to the operation. This would be another step of re-attaching the material to the “moved/new” operation. Both of the ERP systems I have used in the past were able to move operations either by changing numbers or drag and drop and auto renumber. We are engineer to order, so we often modify the process/MOM as we are manufacturing a 12-week assembly. Epicor seems very friendly to Engineer to Order so I find this limitation very surprising.
I’m curious on @jgreenaway comments. It sounds like he has been able to re-number operations, somehow.

@Roland-H
You can reorder operations manually (change numbers manually) in the Engineering workbench, but not in the quote. I’ve always found that odd.

This, in fact I’d go further and say zero logic should be put into the sequence. Single use principle. That number exists solely to set the order of operations. It should not represent anything else. Going down that route violates SUP, and therefore is inherently a bad idea.

I agree. Every once in a while you will get into a situation where you just absolutely have to extend something with something hacky, but you should try to avoid it if at all possible.

That is odd that Engineering workbench has this capability but not in a quote or job.

Kinetic 2024.1 is said to have the capability to manually re-order operations.

1 Like