Parameter list: data from baq - what is this used for

In the parameter menu there is an option to select a dropdown list. Once selected you can get data from a baq. It allows you to select the previously mad baq and a display and value column. What is this type of parameter setup used for? Is this calling another baq into the current baq so you don’t have to subquery the previously made baq again in the current baq? An example of how to use this would be nice as well.

The BAQ parameter can be used if you have a separate BAQ that lists the values that you want to filter on in your current BAQ. For example: Say you have a BAQ that returns a specific list of part numbers. Now you want to run a BAQ that looks up labor information for just those part numbers. Use the BAQ parameter to set table criteria to show only the numbers from your part list BAQ. Yes, you can do the same thing from a single BAQ using subqueries, but this gives some flexibility. Say you have a BAQ that lists specific parts. Maybe you have more than one BAQ that needs to reference that list of parts. So, you can use the parameter to use the same BAQ as the source for the filters.
Does that make sense?

It can give you a pre-defined list of things to select, instead of free-form type whatever you want. It’s pretty handy. You can harcode the list, or use a BAQ to make a dynamic list. (like released jobs or something like that)

1 Like

Both answers were what I was looking for. I can see some value in this feature but seems rare that I would use it. Most of the time I don’t have a predefined list and its as much work to subquery as it is to create a separate BAQ for the list. Now if I foresee several baqs that are centered around the same data filter(s) then it would make sense to do this. I hope that one day we can link two baqs together. That would be slick.

1 Like

UD codes are usually what I use. The reason behind this is that regular users can maintain that list, and no one has to maintain the BAQ to make a change.

1 Like

You can now use BAQ’s as sub queries for other BAQ’s. I haven’t messed with it much yet, but it has the potential to be pretty powerful.

Is this in version 10?

Ah, sorry, this is Kinetic. Gotta upgrade!