Part Hold - List of Actions that cannot be completed

Hi,

I have been looking though the Epicor documentation for a definitive list of the actions that cannot be performed by having a part on hold (e.g. engineering a job with the part in the BOM), but cannot find it anywhere.

Has anyone got a list that they could share?

Thanks,

Andrew.

From Application Help:

Part Maintenance - Part - Detail Fields

Hold

Indicates that this part is on hold from the normal flow of operations. To place a part on hold, select this check box. When you select it, it enables the Hold Date field, and a field below it where you select a code that denotes the reason for the part hold. This check box is cleared by default.

A part designated as being on hold is similar to an inactive part; the part may still have an on hand balance, supply and demand that is reflected in stock status reporting. You can select this check box for various purposes; for example, to indicate that a new part is not yet approved, it is being phased out, or has a quality issue. When you select this check box, the following processing takes place:

• Purchase Orders - A warning message displays when you attempt to use the part number in Purchase Order Entry, but you can continue entering the purchase order line.
  • Sales Orders - When you attempt to use the part number in Order Entry, an error message displays the part and hold reason; you cannot continue entering a sales order line for the part.
  • Demand Entry - The Epicor application does not process a part number that has been placed on hold; an error message with the assigned hold reason displays on the Demand Log.

Thanks Mark.

This highlights the issue.

The list does it mention not been able to engineer or release jobs with a part on hold on the BOM, For example, creating a job that uses the part with quick job entry.

I just wonder are there any others.

I agree with Epicor’s out of the box functionality, however, I have a request to develop a custom hold that would allow a part to be used in prototype development based on an attribute of the job, however, the part apart from that the hold needs to behave as per the standard Epicor hold, so I need to be sure that I am ‘covering every base’.

At the moment, the only way around it is to take parts off hold, create the prototype job and then put the parts back on hold.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Have a look at BPM Data Holds as well. Gives you the flexibility to add/remove/assess the status at will.

Holds

A Hold is a flag you place on a record; it indicates the record should not be processed until it is reviewed and approved. A hold by itself does not perform any actions. You define the actions by creating directives which define how the application handles a record that has a hold placed on it.

A hold can be attached to a record in two ways:

• Manually – You can manually attach a hold onto a field by using the BPM Holds program. You do this by launching the BPM Holds program from the field’s context menu. This adds the hold to the record. To use this functionality, holds must be first defined within Hold Type Maintenance; this program is explored in the next section.
  • Programmatically – A hold can also be attached to a record using a directive action. It can be attached before, during, or after the business process is run. Typically you use holds to interrupt the processing of the business object. This hold can then cause custom actions you define for the directive to run. You use Method Directive Maintenance or Data Directive Maintenance to create these directives.

Also, forgot to mention on my reply.

Use the “Email Feedback” link at the bottom of the help page regarding Part Hold. Epicor do receive these and will improve the documentation to be more accurate.

I am looking for the same answer on Part Hold functionality. The Epicor App Help does not list all the Part Hold functionality. I know I have seen somewhere before where there were additional functions related to Jobs and Engineering Methods that are not listed in the Help section. I just cannot recall where that info was.