Part Runout flag

We have some old part numbers we want to ship out and when we hit qty 0 inactivate the part as they are being replaced by something new. I came across the part runout field, and it looks like exactly what we want! The help is nice as it tells me what the flag is used for, but doesn’t tell me what it does. As an example when we hit qty 0 will Epicor inactivate the part or is it just a dumb flag for a human / bpm to look at and remember we need to inactivate this when we hit qty 0. We’ll test out marking this and taking a part to qty 0 to see what happens, but how would one know what should happen. Is there more documentation on this somewhere(all the part flags are a bit of magic to us and we’d like to learn more about them)?

My experience with the Run Out flag is that it warns you if you try to buy or make the part but it doesn’t stop you. It also doesn’t inactivate the part when it goes to zero. If you set up an Alternate Part, it will let you know what part(s) you should use instead of this part.

HTH,

Mark W.

4 Likes

Like it says, it “indicates” if the part is to be phased out. It doesn’t have any logic to actually do anything, so it’s up to the user to look and see what the stock is, what the requirements are and make a decision as to what they will do. It sounds like such a simple thing (“Just use these up”) but there are so many factors and scenarios that have to be covered, that Epicor simply cannot make it work out right. So they leave it up to the business.

3 Likes

Has anyone created a BPM to check if the part is flagged run-out and the on-hand qty is zero, set the part to inactive? I have a request to do this and was just searching the forums when I saw this.

Hi Kara,

what condition you want to run this bpm?. please post your requirement.

Thanks,
Surendra Pal

Non-stock parts have an “auto-consume stock” flag that works decently with MRP. Parts that are subassemblies use a pull quantity until you use up any stock, and then any future jobs have no pull quantity.

So it would be nice to see this for run-out as well…

FYI, this topic is being floated as a future EUG webinar, so if you are a member there, you might vote for it.

And I am dying at the “Traitor” badge for Brandon. (Honestly best of luck to you, though.)

1 Like

Part.Company = CurrentCompany

If Part.Runout = True, Then Check if Part.Bin = 0

If True, then Part.Inactive = True