PO Suggestions HELP!

Endlessly frustrated with PO suggestions in E10.0.700.4.

Purchasing here set about getting things lined up with setting mins, maxes, moqs, lead times to ensure all the ground work was laid to have a successful program. After several weeks of playing around and reviewing our purchasing module, we have locked qty and date on POs by default.

Multiple suggestions for the same part with the same due date. See the last two lines of the time phase on the right side window in the pic. Why isn’t a single suggestion for the combined sum being suggested?
Total new suggested POs for today after regen = 69. Once duplicated removed = 53.

Any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

On the Time Phase, expand the Source column to show the entire text.and scroll to right to see if any other columns have values.

One note … Multiple PO’s for the same part will be created if there is are different comments related to it. Like If a part is Buy To Order on separate order lines, and each of those lines has different line comments, it would creat a diff PO suggestion for each. I think this is also true for Buy To Job, and the Mtl on the BOM has different comments.

But these doesn’t appear to be your issue.

I beleive Days of Supply is the value that works to combine purchases. We set ours to 5 so that we only bring in that material once a week.

4 Likes

Thanks Greg! Can you point me in the direction of which “Days of Supply” affects this? There are fields in both Lot Sizing and Short Horizon planning under Part>Sites>Planning.

Also, I was under the impression that the only inputs that affect PO suggestions where Max, Min, MOQ, lead time, and safety stock…

Days of supply in the lot sizing area is the one. Below is from the MRP Tech Guide at the link below. It is a fun read if you have the time :slight_smile: In addition to days of supply there are dynamic Days of supply, which we use to combine orders. Dynamic is set on the Plant record and will reset the days and look out again to combine orders.

Urgent gets into a whole can of worms that is best left alone in the beginning.

From the Guide:
• MRP Planning: Days of Supply- This value defines how many days into the future MRP will look in order
to calculate the quantity needed on a job or purchasing suggestion. The MRP engine monitors the supply
quantity of a part. When it discovers a date in the schedule where a part’s On-Hand Quantity falls below
the Minimum On-Hand value, it uses this value as the Start Date to determine a date range. This is the
range during which the Minimum On-Hand quantity must be maintained. When this date is defined, the
MRP engine then adds together all the quantities that are below the Minimum On-Hand Quantity on each
working day within this range. This determines the total supply needed during this specific Days of Supply
date range.

https://epicweb.epicor.com/doc/Docs/Epicor10_techrefMaterialRequirementsPlanning_102300.pdf

Greg, if I’m interpreting that correctly, days of supply is essentially doing the same function as lead time?

Days of Supply refers to how many days am I allowed to have that supply in advance.

If I need the same material on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and have days of supply set at 5 I will get one suggestion to receive the material on Monday and have the supply on hand for 5 days before needed. With days of supply set at zero you will get three suggestions.

1 Like

Ahhhh. We buy to stock, not to order and, due to a low price/weight density, always buy in truckloads.

even if you are buying to stock, your purchase suggestions are looking at demand to tell you what to buy.

So if we determine we don’t care how long in advance we have it, would we need to set it at zero or 365+?

0 is zero, so if you truly don’t care how long it sits then depending on how many suggestions would have. 365+

I have not set over 90 but that is the theory.

Tested it this morning and found real results! Thank you Greg!

Be careful - changing too many variables at a time can drive confusing results.
Short Horizon Planning variables are used when the system determines that you can’t buy an item in the required time (in effect, saying “I can get a lesser quantity sooner”).

Days of Supply answers the question, “Once I know what date I need to bring material in, how far out in advance from that date do I look to determine how many to buy?”.

2 Likes

Note that if you are buying direct to the job or order, days of supply does not pull these together.
You will have to check the buy on PO suggestions on the several buy direct to get them placed onto the same PO Line and manage the releases on the PO themselves to have the shipment come in as one.

Experiment with days of supplies, I had a similar problem, i had 2 materials due 2/1 and 2/15. my days of supply was at 0 so i was getting suggestions to buy for 2/1 and 2/5. i added 30 days to days of supply and i got a suggestion to buy the sum for both days. pretty much your telling the system i want to buy 30 days worth at a time.
hope this helps

1 Like

Also locking PO’s can cause MRP to ignore your first PO and suggest another. we try not to lock PO’s

1 Like

It does. Thank you.