Printer Maintenance

I am trying to setup networked printers in Epicor for the first time. We always just print preview and then choose a printer manually. I am trying to automate some printing activities, so I think I need to learn how to setup a networked printer. We have networked printers all over the shop. some are MFPs, and some are color, and some are label printers.

In particular I am testing with the copier in the front office. It is not physically connected to a PC, instead it connects back to our main server through the network. If I can get this setup then I should have a solid framework for setting up future printers in Epicor.

Here is the printer visible from our network:

Here is the printer sharing setup (I had to log into the server to share this printer.):

And here is the setup in Epicor:

When I try to test the printer, I get this error:

Exception caught in: Epicor.ServiceModel

Error Detail 
============
Message: Unable to open printer. Error 1801: The printer name is invalid.
Program: Epicor.ServiceModel.dll
Method: CallWithCommunicationFailureRetry

Client Stack Trace 
==================
   at Ice.Cloud.ProxyBase`1.CallWithCommunicationFailureRetry(String methodName, ProxyValuesIn valuesIn, ProxyValuesOut valuesOut, RestRpcValueSerializer serializer)
   at Ice.Cloud.ProxyBase`1.CallWithMultistepBpmHandling(String methodName, ProxyValuesIn valuesIn, ProxyValuesOut valuesOut, Boolean useSparseCopy)
   at Ice.Cloud.ProxyBase`1.Call(String methodName, ProxyValuesIn valuesIn, ProxyValuesOut valuesOut, Boolean useSparseCopy)
   at Ice.Proxy.BO.SysPrinterImpl.PrintTestDocument(String printerID, Boolean isEdgePrinter)
   at Ice.Adapters.SysPrinterAdapter.PrintTestDocument(String printerPath, Boolean isEdgePrinter)
   at Ice.UI.App.SysPrinterEntry.Transaction.PrintTestDocument()

Whate else can I show you to help diagnose and solve this issue?
Thanks!
Nate

I’ve not done it this way, but I’d check the security on the Printer Share. You may need to add an ‘everyone’ to it for the server/share to be used by clients.

This is an oldie but a goodie.

I think I have an Everyone in there.

Yikes! I got to this line and I think we are SOL…
“All server-side printers that you wish to use within Epicor must be installed on the actual Epicor server”

We are cloud DT, so we don’t have a local Epicor server. So we can’t use networked printers? That is a long post, and I don’t want to go any farther down the rabbit hole if we can’t even do it.
Thanks!
Nate

The way I’ve set up network printers is by IP address, setting it up in the Ports tab on the printer properties screen. Haven’t done this in cloud DT though.

That is a really old post. At my last company, we were cloud and I had network printers installed on our ECM server. I don’t know what they changed, but I would continue with the post to see if it helps. Just ignore that line.

Obi Wan Mind GIF by Star Wars

The rest of the post regarding Server printing is all in the EAC, which I don’t think I have access to since we are cloud DT.

Particularly this part where I am supposed to use the Epicor Print server name.
" * Network Path: [Epicor Print Server Name][ Shared Printer Name] ."

I may just go to client printers. We only have a few folks needing this, so it seems like the easier option.

Networked printers have to be installed on the App server and given a share name. Then in Epicor the path has to be \servername\printername. This is how we have it set up and it works great. This is also helpful in printing through data directives.

Nate -

Epicor Cloud customers can use the Edge Agent installed as a Service to handle network printing / printers. This post may help:

1 Like