Progress to SQL

We have our old vantage we refer to ONLY for historic data. In the past month or so, Vantage has went down and no one really knows why. So I was thinking, could I convert the Progress to SQL and then I could just pull the data out. Is this possible considering the App server part is not running and that is what is not allowing us access?

NOTE: I have little experience with Vantage. So if my terminology is wrong, I am sorry.

There is a tool to pull a V8 Progress DB right into a SQL DB. It maintains all the schema (table names, structures fields, etc…)

But …

It requires V8 to be running. :frowning:

If your V8 system is down because of client issues, you might be able to do it. If the App Server is down, you’re probably SOL.

As a gauge for your knowledge of Progress, have you ever run PET?

IDK, what is PET?

Progress Explorer Tool - It like Epicor Admin Console, for the Progress OpenEdge (OE) architecture.

It’s a program that can be run on the App server. If you had access to it (and the Progress system was running properly), you can connect a SQL DB to the Progress DB, via ODBC, and port the OE DB to SQL.

FWIW - this isn’t exactly easy. It requires matching bit depths (32 bit vs 64 bit) on the O/S’s (the OE Ap server and the SQL server). If they don’t match (like if OE was 32 and SQL is 64), then you need an intermediate 32 bit SQL box to port the OE DB to. And then port that 32 bit SQL Db to the 64 bit SQL box.

Needless to say we were in the mismatch category and never did this. Our old V8 is off line, but we could bring it back without too much trouble. But we tel users that it takes several days, and they usually say, “Never mind, it’s not that important” :slight_smile:

Ok, so the progress explorer tool, PET, when opened says:

java.rmi.server.ExportException: Unable to create remote reference; nested exception is:
java.rmi.server.ExportException: Listen failed on port: 0; nested exception is:
java.net.SocketException: Option unsupported by protocol
at java/rmi/server/UnicastRemoteObject.exportObject
at java/rmi/server/UnicastRemoteObject.
at com/progress/common/networkevents/EventBroker.
at com/progress/vj/explorer/ProgressExplorer.getClientEventBroker
at com/progress/vj/util/ProDialog.
at com/progress/vj/util/ProDialog.getActiveProDlg
at com/progress/vj/util/ProMsgBox.show
at com/progress/vj/util/ProMsgBox.error
at com/progress/vj/util/ProMsgBox.error
at com/progress/vj/explorer/ProgressServer.workingCallback2
at com/ms/lang/Delegate.dynamicInvoke0
at com/ms/lang/Delegate.dynamicInvoke
at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.invokeMarshaledCallback
at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wndProc
at com/ms/wfc/ui/Form.wndProc
at com/ms/wfc/app/Application$ParkingForm.wndProc
at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.wndProc
at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.callback

I have tried removing the Server and reinstalling, everything and nothing works. Its like it si not connecting but theirs nothing obvious that is stopping it from connecting.

We have specific data in the comments sections in the old orders that some of our customers still reference. So, if we can get to the info, it saves us money and time. However, after a month of Vantage being down, they are asking s much anymore. So this may just be a wash in the end. IDK.

If its very specific data like that, then just get the OE App server running and enable ODBC. Then use excel to pull the data you want.

Thats how we migrated from V8 to E10. Exported select records from select tables, cleaned up in excel, the imported to E10 via DMT.