Push Datasets to Power BI

Does anyone have experience creating a Push Dataset for Power BI Pro?

I’m assuming this will have to do with Epicor functions and C#.

I’m leading a Power BI Pro implementation that uses OData and BAQ’s for its dataset and we’ve started to regularly use some reports. I regularly blessed EpiUsers during development.

The snag I’ve hit is with our scheduling report that also shows what stage projects are in based on whether on operation has been completed - since we are using the OData solution, I can only refresh the dataset 8 times per day. This isn’t working since we need more timely data. After looking through Power BI documentation, it seems the only solution for a more up to date dataset is to use a Push Dataset.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for creating a Push Dataset (outgoing API call?), any help or guidance is extremely appreciated!

I don’t have the answer to your question, but here is an alternative.

I attended a session at the last Insights about the difference between the different reporting and analytics tools for Epicor, about why and when to use them. Here is what I learned.

Tools like PowerBI (and future Epicor Grow) are not meant to be used with real-time data. They are to be used with relatively small to medium datasets (< 18 months) and help you understand what has happened.

To look at what is happening now (real time), Epicor EDD (Data Discovery) is best suited for the task.

The roadmap is not crystal clear for those data analytics tools however, some say that Grow will eventually replace EDD, god knows.

2 Likes

You can use PowerShell along with Power BI Management cmdlets to refresh the datasets at whatever frequency you desire.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this only available for Premium licenses? I am currently trying to implement this on a Pro license and after some reading, it looks like this only works on Premium.

I’ve edited my post to include that this is a Pro implementation. Thanks!

Refreshing 8 times a day should be more than enough for any standard use of power BI like @mbilodeau said.

It seems like the wrong tool for the job if you need data that is less than 3 hours old…

You could try a direct query dataset which goes directly to your sql but it’s really slow in most instances

2 Likes