QR Code in SSRS

I spent too long yesterday adding a QR code to an SSRS report and found too many conflicting instructions. So here’s a brief video on adding a QR code to an SSRS report via a .dll. You can also use web services to generate the image, but I went with the .dll method so I could encode complicated data that couldn’t be easily passed in a url string.

Carson

10 Likes

When you enable SSRS for an App, via EAC, the deployment adds a few DLL’s to the ...\ReportServer\bin\ folder, and updates the rssrvpolicy.config file with some entries about DLL’s the Epicor adds.

Here’s a sample of what is added to the rssrvpollicy.config file.

<CodeGroup 
	class="UnionCodeGroup" 
	version="1" 
	PermissionSetName="FullTrust" 
	Name="EpicorCodeGroup" 
	Description="Epicor Code group for data processing extension">
	<IMembershipCondition 
		version="1" 
		class="UrlMembershipCondition" 
		Url="\\usdcadbs00375\C$\Program_Files\Microsoft_SQL_Server\MSRS13.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting_Services\ReportServer\bin\CLSEpicor.dll"_
	/>
</CodeGroup>

a similar entry exists in rssrvpolicy.config, for EpiNum2Words.dll

Why doesn’t adding the QR DLL to the bin folder, require an entry in the rssrvpolicy.config file?

That’s a good question. I’ve found google results that say you also have to add it to the GAC. I’ve used the method in my video on 3 different servers and it worked on all of them. I forgot to mention you need to put it in your visual studio directory on your local machine to run report builder locally.

Hi Carson

This was extremely useful and works really well in an on-prem environment. We are looking at going to the cloud with Epicor but are still going to need to generate QR codes for our labels. Do you have any suggestions? I’m guessing that Epicor isn’t going to allow the QRCode.dll to be placed on their reporting server. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rewgards
Marty

I actually use an online QR generator for a long time and it does still work since 2014.

Simply add an image to the report.

Then in the “Use this image:” expression, change it to

="http://qrcode.kaywa.com/img.php?s=8&d=" +Fields!PartNum.Value

There are a lot of different online QR Code generator can also work too.

5 Likes

Thanks Toby

do you feel that relying on an external source to generate the process both creates latency and additional failure points?

vs using the built in barcodes did you measure the latency increase?

I ended up purchasing the encoder and put it on the on-prem server to generate the code.

Relying on external source is not good practice, as I remember the site went down, it will only have [X] on the report.

I am not sure how the cloud client generate the code these days.