Reasons to upgrade

Dawn,

We're on 8.03.406a, and will update to 409 when released (they're saying 12/15/09), and again to 410 when released as both fix major issues that affect us.

I've looked at Epicor 9, and it addresses at least two areas we'd like to tighten up, specifically Serial Number Tracking and Dimension Tracking. My CFO likes that the financial module is a little beefier too.

I haven't been asked to do a formal cost/benefit analysis, or make a real business case, but when the dust settles probably late 2010 we'll probably get ready to go there.

Ernie Lowell
Senior Aerospace - Sterling Machine

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "wiadv1" <dawns1@...> wrote:
>
> We are currently running Vantage 8.03.405 with no problems, and I am looking to ugrade to 408 in 2010. I can talk about specific module enhancements, staying current, going to 408 before 9, etc., etc., but does anyone out there have a good bulletpoint list of general business reasons to upgrade ERP software that I can present with my 2010 budget? I need to show that upgrading will add value to our business without quantifying ROI.
>
> All help is appreciated!
>
> Dawn Schefelker, Controller
> Design Specialties, Inc.
>
We are currently running Vantage 8.03.405 with no problems, and I am looking to ugrade to 408 in 2010. I can talk about specific module enhancements, staying current, going to 408 before 9, etc., etc., but does anyone out there have a good bulletpoint list of general business reasons to upgrade ERP software that I can present with my 2010 budget? I need to show that upgrading will add value to our business without quantifying ROI.

All help is appreciated!

Dawn Schefelker, Controller
Design Specialties, Inc.
The main kicker for us to stay current is that Tech Support is friendlier
when you are on a current version, hearing "Well it works on XXX" gets
really annoying after about the third time. Also hearing "That's fixed in
version XXX" gets pretty annoying too.

We had an issue and got told well that gets fix in some version of 9 which
isn't even on our radar for the time being.

Jumping from 405 to 408 isn't really a huge deal just read all the upgrade
documents in-between and test out everything they mention they make changes
to. The upgrades you have to watch out for are jumping from 305 to 4XX or
4XX to 9. On those you basically need to check EVERYTHING!

~Charlie

_____

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
wiadv1
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:58 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Reasons to upgrade

We are currently running Vantage 8.03.405 with no problems, and I am looking
to ugrade to 408 in 2010. I can talk about specific module enhancements,
staying current, going to 408 before 9, etc., etc., but does anyone out
there have a good bulletpoint list of general business reasons to upgrade
ERP software that I can present with my 2010 budget? I need to show that
upgrading will add value to our business without quantifying ROI.

All help is appreciated!

Dawn Schefelker, Controller
Design Specialties, Inc.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Hi Dawn. If it isn't broken, why fix it?

We're on 405A, and are being strongly encouraged to upgrade to 409 when available. We have several problems with V8, but are still reluctant to upgrade, knowing that other things may get broken in the process.

If you're struggling to make a business case for it, then it's quite likely that you don't have one. If you are correct about not having any problems, surely you've got other things to spend your money on?

And for my 2 cents, I don't think "staying current" is a business case.

Kerry.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "wiadv1" <dawns1@...> wrote:
>
> We are currently running Vantage 8.03.405 with no problems, and I am looking to ugrade to 408 in 2010. I can talk about specific module enhancements, staying current, going to 408 before 9, etc., etc., but does anyone out there have a good bulletpoint list of general business reasons to upgrade ERP software that I can present with my 2010 budget? I need to show that upgrading will add value to our business without quantifying ROI.
>
>
>
I'm with Dawn. Don't upgrade just to upgrade.

We're also on 405a (as there has been no compelling business case reasons to move up to 408... They just haven't 'fixed' any of our important issues in these upgrades - so it isn't worth the time to test, update customizations, adapt to new perhaps undesireable behaviors, etc.,).

Rob

Sent: Mon, November 16, 2009 3:21:34 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Reasons to upgrade

Â
Hi Dawn. If it isn't broken, why fix it?

We're on 405A, and are being strongly encouraged to upgrade to 409 when available. We have several problems with V8, but are still reluctant to upgrade, knowing that other things may get broken in the process.

If you're struggling to make a business case for it, then it's quite likely that you don't have one. If you are correct about not having any problems, surely you've got other things to spend your money on?

And for my 2 cents, I don't think "staying current" is a business case.

Kerry.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups .com, "wiadv1" <dawns1@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]