Record By E-Mail error

I’m getting the following SMTP server error whenever I use “Record by E-Mail” option under Opp\Quote module. I have already setup SMTP in company maintenance and in .Sysconfig file as well. Emails alerts using BPM are working file. Only for this particular option I’m getting error. Any Suggestions??

AppError AppError2

Hi Akashdeep,

I am new to Epicor but have seen a few postings on how it handles emails. I think there is a client side and server side component. BPMs could be using server side settings but the screenshot you’ve posted could be just client side. There are SMTP settings in they xyz.sysconfig file on each workstation as well.

Shot in the dark really.

Regards

Matt

@Matt_Belshaw Thanks for your response. I have alread checked with app.sysconfig file under my client folder and made changes. But no luck!!

See if you can run the following from command prompt:

telnet mailserver 25

If you get response you can connect via SMTP. If nothing SMTP is blocked on your workstation.

or download ssh and try to connect as telnet is not installed on more recent Windows versions.

I installed talnet and ran the command got response as well. I did all the possible setting need to be done for SMTP. But still getting same error again and again. Even though i have entered valid SMTP server name in xxx.sysconfig under User tab which is same as defined in Company maintenance. Im using Outlook details for this.

You’ve verified you have SMTP connectivity from your client to the server so I’m not sure where the issue lies. You will need input from other members of this forum to resolve this.

Regards

Hello @Akashdeep_Singh,

Before you go down the road too far with “Record by E-mail”, what are you trying to accomplish? This feature goes back to the Vantage days and what it actually does is creates a .sysconfig file to open the Epicor rich client (if not already opened) and then opens that record. There is nothing in the email that indicates anything about the record so the user will have to open the attachment. If you’re expecting different behavior then you’ll want to look at alternatives.

I think a feature that many of us would like to see, especially in the new Kinetic UI, is “deep linking” where a single URL will work for both the rich client and web versions.

Mark W.

2 Likes

Hello @Mark_Wonsil,

Thanks for your response. So basically I’m working on Email Alerts using BPM where if the discount exceeds more than 20% then mail should be send to the authorized person. BPM is working fine with all the required details needed in the mail. Only one extra thing I want is the “Link” of that particular form for example Opp\Quote form. So that the authorized person can open that from directly from the mail. Is it possible?

Take a look in the help under Global Alerts - Custom Global Alerts you can include a shortcut link image and define the shortcut link templates image you need to associate the sysconfig file type with epicor.exe to make this work.

in the future this will be much easier

2 Likes

Are you using Task Sets? I’ve thought of writing a BPM on Quote Update to check the discounts and if one or more exceeded a percentage, alter the Task Set approver so the approval is required and assigned to the correct person. This way the task shows in the User’s Task List which includes all most approval tasks (Time and Expense, ECO, etc. but not requisitions, … ) which I think is nicer than just an email which can go “below the fold” pretty quickly and potentially missed.

Helllo @Edge ,

I followed up with the document and setup everything as explained. For standard global alerts shortcut.sysconfig file is generated and attached with mail. But for Custom Global alerts it does not happen. When “Include shortcut link” is checked mail does not go. If i unheck it mail get sent.

@Mark_Wonsil. Now this seem nicer and easy to maintain i think, but i have to look around for “Task Sets”. I haven’t seen this option before. I will go through some documents. Thanks for the suggestion. :slight_smile:

I got the exact error message that you did when I tested this.

I then opened the sysconfig file that launches my client, with the ConfigEditor. This is all on my client machine.

After changing the User -> SMTPServer value from SMTP.americas.epicor.net to the same SMTP server in Company Maintenance -> Email, it works.

The email does contain an attachment (of type “.sysconfig”). Maybe your mail server doesn’t like that attachment type.

@ckrusen I have already performed this step but No Luck. May be there is some issue with the SMTPserver.

Hello,

I don’t have Epicor running at the same time, but it gives an error message like this when I want to save changes (updated Stmp Server field):

To change and save data (including on the User tab),
is it necessary to run ConfigEditor.exe as an administrator?

EDIT:
I was also able to change by opening the sysconfig file directly in a text editor,
but the question of changing via ConfigEditor.exe was still open

And I tried send a job (Job Tracker) : File → Send → Record by E-mail with email again
but the email was still mine, and not an email address at the Company Maintenance > Email and Reporting page → User:

I don’t believe that I ever changed the Smtp Server field in the config file on the client. My screen shots are from the Company Maint (or Company Setup?).