Record retention and Re-implementing

This is what US privacy laws might look like:

And of course, GDPR in Europe, where the fines can be quite steep (10% of REVENUE, not profit.)

1 Like

Although, if you want to do business (selling) with Amazon, it’ll probably require some records. :thinking:

And THEY have to make sure that their suppliers follow proper PII practices. It’s the future people.

1 Like

You’re right, it’s not going away. Just trying to understand it, plan, and adapt

2 Likes

@Aaron_Moreng dude! I literally just had the same thoughts about what it would be like to “re-implement” Epicor. I’m loving this thread on the pros and cons!

2 Likes

@jgehling good to see you :slight_smile:

I think taking Epicor and re-implementing it after 5 years would be great. You get to clean-up naming conventions, UOM Issues etc… Treat it as if you are going to a new ERP, the old one can remain as data-warehouse for time being.

I think thats the only way to start clean with all the BEST Practices you have learned.

2 Likes

I have to agree with @hkeric.wci as well as some of the other thoughts here (@Ernie!). I’ve reimplemented a few ERP/MFG systems over the years and it’s all a struggle regardless of the compliance/federal regs that you have to deal with, but it can be done methodically and carefully if they systems have the right data manipulation tools. I once went from a proprietary Business Cobol system to SQL based system - and ooohhh what a PITA.

In the end, after all the recent revelations about Epicor 11, I think we’re going to do a reimplementation with that version next year, since everything will need to get addressed for Kinetic - right down to the configurators, converting to browser only, and other things. It’s the perfect opportunity to revamp everything. Plus it’s been 8 years, so you know what my DB looks like :eyes:

2 Likes

@ckrusen and @Mark_Wonsil are so very correct in their posts as well. Between California and Europe’s GDPR, there is :poop: for actual ‘guidance’ on how to apply any of these new regulations. And they expect compliance or huge fines and blah blah blah…

I agree with Calvin that Customers are necessary relational data to substantiate transactions, and as long as those transactions have legal requirements for retention (GAP or other rules) then that data must stay.

We operate in Europe, so we’ve been around the block with the lawyers in Europe and the best we got was 'Do your best, but we’re going to have to wait for some legal proceedings to set precedence, then react accordingly." … crickets… It’s ridiculous.

We’re of the position that in the end PII protections in Europe were enacted to prevent companies like Amazon, Facebook, Instagram, etc. from exploiting truly personal data - not for publicly accessible data like ‘who you work for’ or what your company email/phone# are" but rather preventing them from linking those bits of data to your Facebook account and selling ‘relational’ data to the unsavory types of internet marketing. And we as a company will do our best to protect ALL data from breeches and until we hear otherwise, that diligence has to be enough - but we also have no regulatory/compliance issues either… :slight_smile:

1 Like