Recursively Apply new Security Class to Folder

Sometimes, we change our mind about how we want security / permissions to be applied to certain documents, subfolders of documents, etc. There doesn’t seem to be any way in DocStar/ECM to recursively apply a new Security Class to a folder, and all documents / subfolders in that folder.

Has anyone found a workaround for when suddenly they want to change gears on how security is setup?

If not, if this makes security changes really difficult for you too, could I please draw your attention to this Aha Idea:
https://epicor-manufacturing.ideas.aha.io/ideas/ECM-I-103

I’ve had this same situation with a customer of mine. I created a simple workflow with a replace task to change the security class on a document. Do a custom search in DocStar to find all the documents on a parent-folder level (I"m pretty sure this is possible). Stick all docs in the workflow.

For the folders, in my case I just did “modify security” in the rightclick menu, but I didn’t have that many subfolders. If you’ve got hundreds, well…
Maybe someone else can chime in if its possible to change folder security in workflow.

I think there is a workflow that could work, problem is the add to folder task has an inherit or hardcoded security class. Would require a task that allows for changing security class based on a variable. Search and update can only update non system fields like Line_PartNum not DocStar variables. I would probably make my changes by adhoc permissions to grant view permissions in a workflow. Select the group you want to have permission to view.