Renaming the Built In Menu IDs

I have gotten an idea in my head to rename the built in Menu ID’s in Menu Maintenance to a custom naming convention. My reasoning behind this is to clean up and standardize the naming of new menus created.

The only way i have found to rename the built in menu ids to to create a new menu and replicate it. I would like to know if there are any tools in that can either simplify the process or if this is a fools errand.

Any advice is appreciated.

The easiest way would be to export it with a BAQ, make the changes, and then use DMT to add them back or update. Keep in mind that Epicor will likely overwrite your changes to system menus the next time you upgrade. I’d expect new user-created menus to be left alone, though. But that might create more maintenance for you down the road as DLL’s change, etc…

Thank you for the info, gonna try that in our Pilot system first just in case :slight_smile:

Be very careful here. If you’re talking about the 8-character menuID, any of those that are default menu items have, in the past, been refreshed when you do a service-pack level update.

You may have to re-rename them all every time you update your software.

I did not know that, welp. I dont want to go through all the work for it to be thrown away.
Thank you for saving me time and sanity.

I wonder if you could create your own language pack. That could totally trip up tech support >:)

I bet there are ancient IDEAS to standardize the naming convention. Sure would be nice if it were consistent!

• AR Invoice Entry vs A/R Invoice Tracker vs Invoice Tracker
  • AP Invoice Entry & Tracker vs A/P Invoice Detail
  • Purchase Order Entry vs Open PO

I would not rename Epicors because during upgrades they revert and if you rename Epicors your Context Menus will break and Epicor does hardcode Menus in LaunchFormOptions Code.

However if you are talking about your own… Dont try to be picky we have alot of menus and the best approach was

1. UOXY001 - Something incremental heck I would have even liked UM00001
  2. USEC0001 just incremental security

Keep it simple, it also helps when multiple developers are working, they just grab the next incremental number and stop guessing.

1 Like