Report builder unable to access reports folder

Hello,

I have re-installed as new my computer and on of my current issues is accessing my reports under ReportBuilder.

I downloaded and installed the latest version available (15.0.19210.0)
I added my server config, and I can connect to it. (Connect button on bottom of the screen.)

But wanting to access (open) the reports I select the server but I do not see the reports folder
(in my old env, selecting the server I could see the Reports folder shown)

I get the 401 error (unauthorized…)
I do have access to another computer… using same login credentials on the network, I can see the reports folder…
So there must be something missing somewhere as local configuration and I do not know where…

Can someone help ?

Thanks

pierre

1 Like

I’ve never had any luck with the “Recent sites and servers” when it comes to RDL’s.

And in the rare chance that a previous Report does show, it won’t load

Is each computer located in the same network segment?

I use the report builder and recent sites and servers list regularly. The other thing I always do that you do not show is I fully qualify my server name. For example ..local or something similar. This helps the report builder find the server easier.

I’m not going to be much help here.
The 401 is a very specific error though, so it sure would stand to reason that first approaching it from that angle would be best.
On the other hand, bogus error messages are, well, bogus. Good luck.

Browse to the report server with Internet Explorer and try opening report builder that way.

2 Likes

I use it all the time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s an error I get when trying to load a RDL that is on my workstation, using the Recent Reports list.

The path of the item 'C:\Users\ckrusen\Redacted - But the same len & symbols in the path\Reports\SalesOrderAcknowledgement\SOForm.rdl' is not valid. The full path must be less than 260 characters long; other restrictions apply. If the report server is in native mode, the path must start with slash. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InvalidItemPathException: The path of the item 'C:\Users\ckrusen\Redacted - But the same len & symbols in the path\Reports\SalesOrderAcknowledgement\SOForm.rdl' is not valid. The full path must be less than 260 characters long; other restrictions apply. If the report server is in native mode, the path must start with slash.

The path, 'C:\Users\ckrusen\Redacted - But the same len & symbols in the path\Reports\SalesOrderAcknowledgement\SOForm.rdl' is only 112 characters.

And that RDL opens just fine if I browse to it in the Open dialog window.

I was able to launch the reports view using the same URL directly in a browser. But I had to add my credentials… where credentials are not poping up in the Report Builder app. I think the issue is I am not authenticated automatically ‘yet’ …so unsure where to set that up…

Pierre

The issue is resolved. Apparently I had to add myself to the SQL server reporting services list of users… as well as the server itself…
(even though I was able to access from another computer logged in as myself ! )

Case closed.