ReqDate change e-mail notification

I’m trying to identify the best approach to sending an e-mail(s) to dynamic recipients when the ReqDate is changed for a release.

On the surface, the rules for sending the e-mail are simple. If OrderRel.ReqDate is changed, OrderDtl.KitFlag != “C” and OrderHed.ReadyToCalc == true then send the e-mail. A BAQ with OrderNum, OrderLine, and OrderRelNum parameters will provide the data to put in the e-mail.

The seeming obvious choice is a data directive on OrderRel, but I would then have to query OrderHed in some fashion to determine whether ReadyToCalc == true and OrderDtl to make sure the line isn’t a kit component. We have a lot of kit parts with many components. This solution would generate an unacceptable amount of processing overhead.

The majority of these changes are happening from a dashboard and so I’ve considered a Pre/Post method directive combination on the dashboard. I’ve not done this on a dashboard before. I created a Pre-Processing directive on the Update method of the dashboard, but it didn’t show up as a directive that could enable the Post-Processing directive. I’m also suspicious that this might get me false e-mails. There are many updates made using this dashboard that aren’t changes to ReqDate. When pre/post is used and multiple lines are updated is the Pre/Post applied line by line? I would also have to put a variation of this concept on the appropriate SaleOrder Update method(s).

My other thought is to add a UD field to OrderRel and set that field to true when ReqDate is changed. My first choice would be to apply this via a pre-processing BPM on the appropriate update methods since there are multiple places where ReqDate could be changed. Then, I could trigger the e-mail off a data directive.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?