Resource Group and Resource ID

Epicor version 9.05.701

I just wanted to get a feel for how companies have set this up.
We have set our database up using the following method:

Resource Group: Department
Resource Group ID: Machine

What have other companies done? Is there a right / wrong method?

The reason i ask this question is because in epicor MES when you process an INDIRECT transaction, MES will ALWAYS pick the first machine (Resource Group ID) within the Dept (Resource Group) and the user cannot pick any others from the list.*
Note: For DIRECT tranactions - it works absolutely fine.

*You can search for the other machines, but it will only ever return the one that sits at the top of the Resource Group (setup).

Many thanks in advance.

Mark,

Normally the tiering is Job Dept, Resource Groups and then Resources

It sounds like you have the Resource level correct.

The Resource Groups are typically like machines or an assembly area.

The Job Dept would be one step up say Fabrication or Assembly including
multiple Resource Groups.

One Resource Group would be Indirect.

It sounds like you have the Resource prompt as required on?

Scheduling is typically done at the Resource Group level if possible.

Brad

Brad

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your reply. Where is the setting for “resource prompt as required”?

1 Like

Below are the steps where i come across the problem.

1. Open TEST EPICOR MES.
  2. Log in and confirm shift ID.
  3. Click “start indirect activity”.
  4. Select an INDIRECT CODE.
  5. Select a Resource Group ID (in here you can search the resources (machines) )…But, as per the reason i put this help request in, i selected the GEN resource group but the ResourceGroupID (machine) of “rumbler” is not actually selected in the main screen…its picked a different one (underlined in red).

1 Like

This setting to allow the resource prompt is on the company configuration – Production – Job tab.

It is an all or nothing option.

Brad Boes
bradboes@boosterpconsulting.com
231-845-1090

1 Like

I would leave your Department in JC dept and set the Group as type of machine. Example: Lathe, Mill, CNC then each machine is a resource.

1 Like

Typical Indirect setup would not have a need to select a specific resource. Is there something special you are trying to accomplish with this? :slight_smile:

Thank you, i’ll test this out in our TEST database.

We are trying to monitor time spent on machines for INDIRECT activity, so for eg. cleaning / maintenance etc.

Hi, I adjusted the tickbox, then went to MES and did 2 INDIRECT transactions but sadly no change