REST - First Attemp... Create QuoteHed

I got it. Through REST, The GetNew is brining back two rows. I didn’t pay attention at first.

I kept the one with RowMod = “A” , called the oher methods up to the update and it worked!

1 Like

I am tasked with making a quote record with REST.

I don’t understand conceptually what I need to do. How do you make a quote?
What methods do you call and what data do you need?

Use the trace log and create a quote manually via the UI. Those are the same calls you’ll need to make with the REST interface.

Once what @Aaron_Moreng has suggested will be done, work with postman (or other) to make REST API calls manually and to familiar your self with the approach (if you’ve never worked with REST). After, you’ll be set up to begin your calls with code.

Do you know what the service is called?
Is this the correct service name: Erp.BO.QuoteSvc

1 Like

Please, do a trace using the tracing option functionality. You’ll see all calls made to the service.

Does anyone know the difference between these two things in the swagger?

Read this. It’s a very good entry point.

OData is a set of “standard” OData methods that conform to the OData standard. The “custom” methods are really the Epicor BO methods. In most cases you’ll use the custom methods

Yes, okay so I did a trace log but I don’t understand how to read it. :frowning:

But do a full trace from the beginning. And read what I’ve suggested (REST Overview Novel)

That’s good to know. I guess I really don’t understand how to read the trace log. I did read the REST novel before and skimmed it again.

Unfortunately it never explains how to read the trace log to find out what the methods and business object to use. That’s where I’m stuck.

The trace log is sort of it’s own beast (in my opinion), but once you realize what you’re looking at, it gets easier. Like Louis said, the highlighted text you posted is the method of the business object being called. The table view you see is the dataset that’s being passed to the method.

…and what ends by Impl is the service (BO).

Okay good. So I’m on the right track. If that’s the “update” method, what is the business object that goes with it? I can’t find a BO that’s called QuoteImpl.

QuoteImpl is the same as QuoteSvc
Impl (implementation)
Svc (service)

Look at the Epicor Help it goes into pretty thorough detail about Tracing
https://epicweb.epicor.com/Education/OnlineHelpFeatureSummary/Epicor%20ERP%2010/10.2.200/enu/Standard/DatabaseTools/TracingOptions.html

Including where to see BO name, etc.

Okay now we’re getting somewhere. It seems like everyone just assumes that is common knowledge but it’s really unintuitive to someone as inexperienced as myself. Impl translates to Svc okay got it.
Thank you Jose!

2 Likes

To be fair, you are jumping way into the deep end without first knowing how to swim. People are assuming that you know how to read a trace when you are talking about basically recreating Epicor UI, because that’s no small feat. And it does take a lot of time and a lot of reading to start to get a handle on how this stuff works. Something as simple as a quote really isn’t simple. There a lot of moving parts that have to be accounted for, and with REST, they all have to be perfect the first time. That’s where the UI in Epicor helps guide you. So you will have to somehow do all of that error checking and guiding to make sure you follow a complex set of rules developed over many years.

It’s not a simple task.