(Click the logo to view our site)

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of mlezivk
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:42 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Rework operations within a sequential job

I wanted to get some opinions on what other job shop companies are doing
for rework operations. Specifically, if I have a job of 100 pieces and I
need to rework 10 of them and later catch them back up to the other 90.

We have been inserting operations within the job sequence. This has
worked fine, but we are about to start using the production yield
functionality and am concerned that the automatic recalculation will
reduce the job to 10 unnecessarily. Also, we have found that DMR costs
on the reworked pieces are inflated because the they are being spread
over fewer parts.

Does anybody have a good way to rework pieces without job splitting,
that will maintain DMR cost and job quantity integrity without manual
manipulation?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
I wanted to get some opinions on what other job shop companies are doing for rework operations. Specifically, if I have a job of 100 pieces and I need to rework 10 of them and later catch them back up to the other 90.

We have been inserting operations within the job sequence. This has worked fine, but we are about to start using the production yield functionality and am concerned that the automatic recalculation will reduce the job to 10 unnecessarily. Also, we have found that DMR costs on the reworked pieces are inflated because the they are being spread over fewer parts.

Does anybody have a good way to rework pieces without job splitting, that will maintain DMR cost and job quantity integrity without manual manipulation?
Can you do something with the usage factor on the added rework operation like a requirement of 0.1 (for 10 out of 100 piece job quantity)? Kind of like you do with material usage requirements.

Greg

----- Original Message -----
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:41 AM

I wanted to get some opinions on what other job shop companies are doing for rework operations. Specifically, if I have a job of 100 pieces and I need to rework 10 of them and later catch them back up to the other 90.

We have been inserting operations within the job sequence. This has worked fine, but we are about to start using the production yield functionality and am concerned that the automatic recalculation will reduce the job to 10 unnecessarily. Also, we have found that DMR costs on the reworked pieces are inflated because the they are being spread over fewer parts.

Does anybody have a good way to rework pieces without job splitting, that will maintain DMR cost and job quantity integrity without manual manipulation?

We report the 10 as non-conforming to force into the Operation inspection queue and shuttle off to the DMR process, we then Disposition to a Rework job (labor OPs only as this is WIP inspection), reinspect and return to original job WIP as OK qty.

It is a very non-intuitive, unforgiving process (as inspection/DMR actions can't be reversed even if they were typos/errant-mouse-clicks). People just don't understand it as it is hard for an inspector to be holding a physical partially processed part in their hand and to understand that, for jobs, it is a labor inspection (not a receipt inspection as occurs with POs).

I thoroughly despise their unforgiving Inspection/DMR applications (and the paradigm that fails to support a simple job receipt inspection as exists for POs).

Would love to hear how others are doing it (as I'm seriously considering bagging the whole thing and using a non-Vantage solution that worked just fine with our legacy system).

Rob

Â

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:41:40 AM

Vantage 8.03.406

We process similar to the process posted by Rob. Basically, if the nonconformance can be processed and stay with the good parts we add/insert an operation. If the nonconformance needs more time but can be caught up, to the original Job, we will fail from Inspection Processing and at DMR accept to a rework Job. This Job is typically the same number with a dash (-), so whenever you sort you can see all similar Jobs. Also, you will need this item as a material on the rework Job so that it can be accepted to it. We then set it up as a Job to Job link. This will now add all of the rework cost to the original Job. You also have the ability to process the rework Job directly to stock.

We just implemented a new process to capture rework costs. We are utilizing the 'Analysis Code' within Job Entry. We setup employee's and/or departments as the Analysis Code. We then assign the employee or department (depending of the setup), which caused the nonconformance, to the appropriate rework operation(s). I then have a Dashboard and a BAQ Report that pulls those cost by date range. This allows us to track the additional setup, production and related costs as well as appropriate materials. This is pretty new but already an eye opener.

Jeff

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "mlezivk" <kevin.mleziva@...> wrote:
>
> I wanted to get some opinions on what other job shop companies are doing for rework operations. Specifically, if I have a job of 100 pieces and I need to rework 10 of them and later catch them back up to the other 90.
>
> We have been inserting operations within the job sequence. This has worked fine, but we are about to start using the production yield functionality and am concerned that the automatic recalculation will reduce the job to 10 unnecessarily. Also, we have found that DMR costs on the reworked pieces are inflated because the they are being spread over fewer parts.
>
> Does anybody have a good way to rework pieces without job splitting, that will maintain DMR cost and job quantity integrity without manual manipulation?
>
Can you describe the job to job link. I've never heard of that and it sounds interesting. I couldn't find it anywhere in help screens.

Thanks Jeff!

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "jplehr" <jlehr@...> wrote:
>
> Vantage 8.03.406
>
> We process similar to the process posted by Rob. Basically, if the nonconformance can be processed and stay with the good parts we add/insert an operation. If the nonconformance needs more time but can be caught up, to the original Job, we will fail from Inspection Processing and at DMR accept to a rework Job. This Job is typically the same number with a dash (-), so whenever you sort you can see all similar Jobs. Also, you will need this item as a material on the rework Job so that it can be accepted to it. We then set it up as a Job to Job link. This will now add all of the rework cost to the original Job. You also have the ability to process the rework Job directly to stock.
>
> We just implemented a new process to capture rework costs. We are utilizing the 'Analysis Code' within Job Entry. We setup employee's and/or departments as the Analysis Code. We then assign the employee or department (depending of the setup), which caused the nonconformance, to the appropriate rework operation(s). I then have a Dashboard and a BAQ Report that pulls those cost by date range. This allows us to track the additional setup, production and related costs as well as appropriate materials. This is pretty new but already an eye opener.
>
> Jeff
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "mlezivk" <kevin.mleziva@> wrote:
> >
> > I wanted to get some opinions on what other job shop companies are doing for rework operations. Specifically, if I have a job of 100 pieces and I need to rework 10 of them and later catch them back up to the other 90.
> >
> > We have been inserting operations within the job sequence. This has worked fine, but we are about to start using the production yield functionality and am concerned that the automatic recalculation will reduce the job to 10 unnecessarily. Also, we have found that DMR costs on the reworked pieces are inflated because the they are being spread over fewer parts.
> >
> > Does anybody have a good way to rework pieces without job splitting, that will maintain DMR cost and job quantity integrity without manual manipulation?
> >
>
Can you describe the job to job link. I've never heard of that and it sounds interesting. I couldn't find it anywhere in help screens.

Thanks Jeff!

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "jplehr" <jlehr@...> wrote:
>
> Vantage 8.03.406
>
> We process similar to the process posted by Rob. Basically, if the nonconformance can be processed and stay with the good parts we add/insert an operation. If the nonconformance needs more time but can be caught up, to the original Job, we will fail from Inspection Processing and at DMR accept to a rework Job. This Job is typically the same number with a dash (-), so whenever you sort you can see all similar Jobs. Also, you will need this item as a material on the rework Job so that it can be accepted to it. We then set it up as a Job to Job link. This will now add all of the rework cost to the original Job. You also have the ability to process the rework Job directly to stock.
>
> We just implemented a new process to capture rework costs. We are utilizing the 'Analysis Code' within Job Entry. We setup employee's and/or departments as the Analysis Code. We then assign the employee or department (depending of the setup), which caused the nonconformance, to the appropriate rework operation(s). I then have a Dashboard and a BAQ Report that pulls those cost by date range. This allows us to track the additional setup, production and related costs as well as appropriate materials. This is pretty new but already an eye opener.
>
> Jeff
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "mlezivk" <kevin.mleziva@> wrote:
> >
> > I wanted to get some opinions on what other job shop companies are doing for rework operations. Specifically, if I have a job of 100 pieces and I need to rework 10 of them and later catch them back up to the other 90.
> >
> > We have been inserting operations within the job sequence. This has worked fine, but we are about to start using the production yield functionality and am concerned that the automatic recalculation will reduce the job to 10 unnecessarily. Also, we have found that DMR costs on the reworked pieces are inflated because the they are being spread over fewer parts.
> >
> > Does anybody have a good way to rework pieces without job splitting, that will maintain DMR cost and job quantity integrity without manual manipulation?
> >
>
It's just a different type of Job demand link (when creating a job)... You have Make to Stock, Make to Order (linked specifically to an order/line/release in exact qty required) and Make to Job (One Job's output qty is commited to be received directly to another jobs material requirements).

Rob

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:11:41 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Rework operations within a sequential job

Thanks Jeff!

--- In vantage@yahoogroups .com, "jplehr" <jlehr@...> wrote:
>
> Vantage 8.03.406
>
>
> We just implemented a new process to capture rework costs. We are utilizing the 'Analysis Code' within Job Entry. We setup employee's and/or departments as the Analysis Code. We then assign the employee or department (depending of the setup), which caused the nonconformance, to the appropriate rework operation(s) . I then have a Dashboard and a BAQ Report that pulls those cost by date range. This allows us to track the additional setup, production and related costs as well as appropriate materials. This is pretty new but already an eye opener.
>
> Jeff
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups .com, "mlezivk" <kevin.mleziva@ > wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
>

1 Like