RoHS

Good Morning,

Does anyone here use the RoHS functionality in Epicor and can share how they use it and what they think of it? Also, if you considered use of it but did a customization/UD fields instead, please share as well.

Thanks for your consideration,
Nancy

1 Like

I tried using it in E9, and at that time all it would really do is aggregate how much of your finished good (by weight) was a RoHS material. Our British subsidiary needed to use the European system (called REACH) that tracked (at that time) over 3,000 substances, not just the 6 that RoHS did, so we had to develop a custom solution.

I don’t know if Epicor’s RoHS functionality has changed since then.

1 Like

We have it but unless you are reporting either RoHS or REACH material usage it is a lot of setup.

We went with marking materials as compliant, non-compliant or unknown. Those are rolled up each night to establish the assemblies potential to be built compliant. We only will certify the assembly is compliant if the customer on their PO asks for it to be certified compliant.

2 Likes

Hi Greg,

If you have a couple of minutes, would you mind providing a few details on why you think the setup is alot of work for merely claiming compliant or not compliant/unknown?

Also, how do you mark your materials as compliant, non-compliant, or unknown? Do you use the RoHS in Epicor in some way for this or a UD or what?

Thanks so much,
Nancy

From what I remember from 2018 was that it was made to report the levels of substances that existed and what we needed was a way to say the bom consisted on RoHS compliant material.

I made a UD field with Yes/No/Unknown on all parts and a nightly sql job to set the min of that field by part and revision.

1 Like

We also found the standard RoHS functionality in Epicor to be overkill. We didn’t need to track the quantity of multiple substances in each part to determine if an assembly is compliant.

We added two UD fields, one uses a User Defined Code to set one of five possible values. the second is free text that an engineer enters describing why the part is deemed to be compliant of not. We also require the engineer to attach a file to the Part with some backup document.

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,

Do you see any benefit to using the RoHS module in Epicor for doing this UD field methodology vs just using UD Tab/ table, etc. all around?
Still trying to see if any justification for additional module. Not seeing it so far.

Thanks
Nancy

Nancy,
I think the RoHS is part of standard Epicor, not an add-on module. I added my UD fields to the existing RoHS tab of the Part Entry and Part Tracker, just because it was there and seemed like an obvious place to put the two new fields, but I could have put them on any other screen also.

For our company, there was nothing in the Epicor RoHS functionality that seemed to be useful. And two added UD fields handled everything we did need to track RoHS compliance.
Andrew

1 Like

Oh, whoops, yes it is in Part maintenance without add on module isn’t it? I guess the add on module is for the substance and restriction maintenance and the roll up process… since I don’t seem to have those. I don’t think we need them either. I think your simple approach will suffice for our needs as well.

Thanks!
Nancy

Instead of just a boolean UD field to indicate if a part is RoHS compliant or not, maybe use a string, and record the version or standard that the part was compliant to.

• 2002/95/EC (RoHS 1) (repealed 3 January 2013)**
  • 2011/65/EU (RoHS 2)
  • 2015/863 (RoHS 2 amendment)
  • etc …

That way you could tell which parts were compliant to which standard.

Part XYZ-123 may have been created back in 2005, and was RoHS 1 (at that time). But did anyone ever go back and confirm it’s RoHS 2 after the directive was updated? If so, they would have marked it RoHS 2. And then changed to RoHS 2a in 2016, etc…

1 Like

Does anyone know how to get the roll-up working? The “Substance Where Used” seems to only pick up the lower level parts with substances, not the upper level ones they go into. We would like to set the pack slip up to display any rolled-up substances on the upper level.