Scheduling - Still Confused

I am still trying to get scheduling working for our company. I am having trouble understanding where the scheduled work to be done is stored in Epicor.

First some definitions:

-We relieve load by quantity.
-Our site has a finite horizon of 365, and I run global scheduling out 365 days.
-I have turned on global ‘reschedule started operation’, and turned off ‘allow scheduling before today’.
-We only have 3 resource groups we care to track (for now), and so I have set only the resources in those groups to finite. All other RGs and resources are set to infinite.
-Resource Groups have 1 scheduling block, and crew sizes of 1.
-Resources use resource group values.

I began by looking at the ResourceTimeUsed (RTU) table for the three RGs I care about. In this table I can see that one particular job’s operation 20 was started on 4/12/22. In my Job Tracker I can see that labor has been applied towards this job/op. The total number of parts in labor quantity looks like they completed the operation. The little green checkbox next to the operation’s icon in the treeview makes me think the operation is complete.

In the resource scheduling board, I can see that the job/op bar is colored green for complete. But there is very tiny yellow bar at the end of the op, making me thing something is still open or due.

So is this job/op in the schedule? If the job/op is complete, and the quantity is more than or equal to the job’s production quantity, then why does this job/op still appear in the RTU table?

Aside from those questions, I would like to see a view into our schedule that shows all the jobs and operations that are due to be worked on in the upcoming week. Is that data stored in the RTU table? Is it hiding somewhere else?

EDIT: To add to the confusion, today I reviewed my my site schedule load graph and resource schedule load graph. Both show lots of old load for years back to 2008. I’ve been trying to get these old loads to go away. I mean how can we produce parts in the past? This load belongs on dates starting from the day I hit Global Reschedule.

Thanks for your time!
Nate

Just wondering if you already use the Priority Dispatch Report?
Same data as scheduling dashboards but sometimes I like this format.

I only have notes from an old answerbook #: 251MPS and not sure there is anything newer available from EpicCare.

Scheduled operations are listed for each resource group.
Operations are prioritized to a “region” according to three categories:

“Current Work:” - Operation is ready to be worked on. Operation has been started (actual hours > 0). Operation is first on an assembly with no children assemblies OR previous operations have no load (100% complete).

“Available Work:” - Operation can be worked on, but is limited by previous operation. The previous operation has at least one piece that is completed.

“Expected Work:” - Operation has no parts to work on because the previous operation has not yet started or has no quantity completed.

Also note that in early versions of E10, the reports filters did not all work as expected, a known bug… TBD if corrected in your version.

2 Likes

Thanks Bruce! I hadn’t seen that report before. Can you help me decipher this row in the report?

I think this is telling me that on 4/4 work should start on operation 20. 120 pieces are scheduled to run. The estimated setup time of 10 hours was not used, so the load is 0. The estimated production of 240 hours has only just started, so the load is 4 hours. Do these 4 hours represent the time that has been worked between 4/4 and now? Are there any other helpful nuggets of information I can glean from this?

From the old (v8) answerbook 251MPS
Calculating Setup and Production Load:

Setup Load:… is only calculated if estimated setup hours > 0 and setup is not marked as complete.

• If load is based on hours, then SetupLoad = EstSetHours - ActSetupHours
  • If load is based on quantity, then SetupLoad = EstSetHours * SetUpPctComplete
  • Setup load will equal zero if the SetupLoad calculation results in negative hours.

Production Load:… is only calculated if estimated production hours > 0, run quantity > 0 and production is not complete.

• If load is based on hours, then ProdLoad = EstProdHours - ActProdHours
  • If load is based on quantity, then ProdLoad = EstProdHours - (EstProdHours/RunQty * QtyCompleted)
  • Production load will equal zero if the ProdLoad calculating results in negative hours.

Epicor used to maintain these for several of their complicated reports - especially the ones with temp tables in the RDD.
I remember most of them were not “published”… had to call in and ask a tech to search & forward to me. Some techs were happy to do this, while others…
TBD… if Epicor has a newer version or if you can still get the old answerbook for this Priority Dispatch.

1 Like