Searching for vendor part numbers

In Epicor 9, certain Part fields have an automated translation feature implemented. For example, if you enter the Supplier's part number into the Part field it will lookup and replace it with your Part ID. It hasn't been implemented in everywhere but I believe PO Line is one of the part fields with this particular feature.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "tom_burton" <tom.burton@...> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know a way to easily and quickly search for vendor part numbers, if you don't know your own part number? Obviously, you can go to a part record and look at the price list and see the vendor number. For example, I know a number for a supplier, and I want to find out what our part number is. How can I do this in Vantage?
>
Does anyone know a way to easily and quickly search for vendor part numbers, if you don't know your own part number? Obviously, you can go to a part record and look at the price list and see the vendor number. For example, I know a number for a supplier, and I want to find out what our part number is. How can I do this in Vantage?
Create a dashboard and query on the VendPart table. Use a filter(s) to
reduce the dashboard data.

Charlie Smith

Smith Business Services / 2W Technologies LLC

www.vistaconsultant.com <http://www.vistaconsultant.com/> /
www.2WTech.com

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of tom_burton
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:22 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Searching for vendor part numbers

Does anyone know a way to easily and quickly search for vendor part
numbers, if you don't know your own part number? Obviously, you can go
to a part record and look at the price list and see the vendor number.
For example, I know a number for a supplier, and I want to find out what
our part number is. How can I do this in Vantage?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Do it thru supplier-part (which may be called supplier-price list on some versions/menus).

Load the vendor code & (depending version) look for suppliers p/n in the list view OR (on later versions) search/load all their parts and do same.

Older versions allow creation of a quick search on supplier p/n control field.

Two step search needed in later versions probably blows that out of the water but you could then write a simple BAQ and use it as basis for a (defaultable) advanced search directly for a partial supplier p/n frag entry.

You may be able to do something similar thru Purchase advisor.

Rob

--- Original Message ---
Sent:Thu 6/24/10 10:23 am
To:vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subj:[Vantage] Searching for vendor part numbers

Does anyone know a way to easily and quickly search for vendor part numbers, if you don't know your own part number? Obviously, you can go to a part record and look at the price list and see the vendor number. For example, I know a number for a supplier, and I want to find out what our part number is. How can I do this in Vantage?
Does anyone have a good macro solution (or query or whatever) for doing efficient searches for vendor numbers? I'm looking for something that will do wildcard matches on partnumbers to in case you don't know the entire or EXACT number. I know you can type the vendor number into the Part Tracker "Part..." field, but this is only good if you know the exact number.
More specifically, I could enter a part of a vendor partnumber. Mcmaster carr number 95836A449 for example. I might know it's 95836 something, or something A449...

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "cooner_55421" <cooner_55421@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> I've added some quick searches to the Part maintenance screen that
> looks up details in the VendPart table.
>
> One example works like this:
> A user, from the part maintenance screen can launch the quick search, thenn type in part of a description, say "cyl" (for cylinder).
> The quick search will select all the VendPart records with "cyl" anywhere in the description. (in the VendPart table not Part table).
>
> Is this similar to what you mean?
>
> Bruce
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "tom_burton" <tom.burton@> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have a good macro solution (or query or whatever) for doing efficient searches for vendor numbers? I'm looking for something that will do wildcard matches on partnumbers to in case you don't know the entire or EXACT number. I know you can type the vendor number into the Part Tracker "Part..." field, but this is only good if you know the exact number.
> >
>
I have no idea how to do this.

Do you have something "canned" we could use, or could you write it for us?

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "CharlieSmith" <CSmith@...> wrote:
>
> Create a dashboard and query on the VendPart table. Use a filter(s) to
> reduce the dashboard data.
>
>
>
> Charlie Smith
>
> Smith Business Services / 2W Technologies LLC
>
> www.vistaconsultant.com <http://www.vistaconsultant.com/> /
> www.2WTech.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
> Of tom_burton
> Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:22 AM
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Vantage] Searching for vendor part numbers
>
>
>
>
>
> Does anyone know a way to easily and quickly search for vendor part
> numbers, if you don't know your own part number? Obviously, you can go
> to a part record and look at the price list and see the vendor number.
> For example, I know a number for a supplier, and I want to find out what
> our part number is. How can I do this in Vantage?
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
I want this to work google style. I don't want to have to pre-define the vendor, just type in the partial of the vendor number, and get results: usually it'll just return the appropriate vendor.

I know I know, I want it all!

We used to dump the vendor part list to a report, export it into excel, then link that to access where we had a front end. What a crazy roundabout way to do it. But, since the upgrade (v 9.04.506C) it doesn't work

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, robertb_versa@... wrote:
>
> Do it thru supplier-part (which may be called supplier-price list on some versions/menus).
>
> Load the vendor code & (depending version) look for suppliers p/n in the list view OR (on later versions) search/load all their parts and do same.
>
> Older versions allow creation of a quick search on supplier p/n control field.
>
> Two step search needed in later versions probably blows that out of the water but you could then write a simple BAQ and use it as basis for a (defaultable) advanced search directly for a partial supplier p/n frag entry.
>
> You may be able to do something similar thru Purchase advisor.
>
> Rob
>
> --- Original Message ---
> From:"tom_burton" <tom.burton@...>
> Sent:Thu 6/24/10 10:23 am
> To:vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Subj:[Vantage] Searching for vendor part numbers
>
> Does anyone know a way to easily and quickly search for vendor part numbers, if you don't know your own part number? Obviously, you can go to a part record and look at the price list and see the vendor number. For example, I know a number for a supplier, and I want to find out what our part number is. How can I do this in Vantage?
>