Selectable dropdown value for uBAQ

Good morning everyone,

I referenced the Epicor ICE Tools User Guide to learn how to make a uBAQ and have done that a couple times. However, I would like to create a dropdown select list for a column in the uBAQ (and ultimately in an updatable-dashboard), rather than having users try to remember values and manually typing them in. Based on other posts I’ve read on this forum I believe it’s possible. Can someone please point me in the right direction to some documentation or a walk-through of this topic, either in this forum or from Epicor’s documentation?

Thank you!

Inside the Updateable BAQ, you can set the properties for editable fields using Advanced Column Editor Configuration.

Once there, you can pick the field and change the Editor Type to dropdown list, and set where the values come from.

It’s a bit odd when working in Dashboard Configuration in that you have to fiddle around with the column width some since the value when editing is not the same as the display value when you run it. (in my example, userid shows when editing vs user name when running)

1 Like

This worked great - thank you.

Hey both,

Thanks so much for sharing this - it has been really useful in a BAQ I’m currently testing. I was just wondering if using this method, have you been able to get a distinct field drop-down? The field I’m using as the drop-down is returning multiple of the same because it’s attached to the main BAQ query looking at all of the Order tables. I’m having a play with joining a distinct sub-query into the main query but so far not getting any luck with it.

You can change the Subquery options from All to Distinct in the BAQ you are using for the dropdown.

Thanks Marjorie! :slight_smile:

I’ve tried this but it still returns multiple values, I did it as an inner subquery as I get failures trying to doing Top Level, does it need to be Top Level please?

Show some screen shots of what you are doing. Your drop down should be showing what’s exactly coming out of your BAQ. To it’s most likely just a problem with your BAQ, but without see what you are doing, that’s just a guess.

1 Like

Thanks Brandon.

Created SubQuery2 – Distinct Part Classes

Joining into Main Query using the description field in this example, but have also tried joining on ClassID

Then make the Part Class description field updateable in BAQ to enable drop-down function but I’ve mapped it to the subquery Distinct Part Class field.

Pulling this into the dashboard, still gives me multiple duplicates as it’s still linking to main query so it seems to be bringing through part class descriptions for every release

I can’t see the titles to know this for sure, but it looks like you are referencing the same query that you are trying to get the drop down in?

You’re supposed to make a totally different query for the lookup in the drop down. Your lookup query just needs the bare minimum to get the list of things that you want to see, with an ID field and a display field, (which may or may not be the same thing depending on what you are filling in).

That drop down is not going to be aware of anything else in the query, so if you’re trying to get a filtered list based on something else, this technique won’t do that.

Ah that’s it! My first thought was maybe it would need to look at the same query so that the it will link to the main query. But I just tested pulling in a different query which is just a distinct list of part classes, and the drop-down now displays correctly and still filters the main query! :grin: I’m definitely missing the logic here but how does the drop-down query link to the main query? Many thanks for all your help!! :slight_smile:

It’s just a list of values. It’s just like typing in the text box of a tracker filter, but you now have a curated list instead. There’s nothing special “Linking” it.

1 Like

Ah brilliant! Sorry for all the questions, this has been really helpful - in theory would there be a way to create a BAQ with a calculated field which says if Description is like ‘Temperature - RM’ then ‘Temperature’, and if description is like ‘Pressure - RM’ then ‘Pressure’ which we could use for the drop-down please? Just thinking it would help to bring down the amount in the drop-down list even more.

That would be a more involved customization that would involve custom code to be able to make that work. It’s possible, but not trivial.

In the query for the dropdown select list, I think you could just have calculated columns that look like this:

case
when Description like 'Temp%' then 'Temperature'
when Description like 'Press%' then 'Pressure'
end

You can wildcard with the percent sign at the beginning of the string as well if needed.