Series 1 EpiSode 4: Catch Up Call with Bart Elia

Ugh. Just ugh.

1 Like

Chameleon ip. I fed that floppy to so many pcs…

2 Likes

Technical question here, with respect to @josecgomez prequel to talking to Bart…Does the BAQ designer Test button execute the query against SQL Server differently compared to rolling it up in an SP and executing in REST?

Sorry for being lazy and just asking, and not breaking out the tools, but I thought it was a good question to ask for all…

We are seeing some differences between executing the BAQ in Excel via REST vs executing in the BAQ is significant, which also prompted me to ask.

1 Like

No it executes the same way. But while I’m developing I usually use the same parameters over and over again during my testing (most people do) which leads to the “false” parameter sniffing

3 Likes

Seems like we had a rogue unlinked table which was causing the issue, but it was good to clarify that there are no differences, looking forward to those query hints :slight_smile:

1 Like

i thought you would go with your usual OPTION(RECOMPILE) :grin:
It would be interesting to read your discussion on slack.

3 Likes

That wasn’t working either @Olga I’m not sure why we tried it a bunch of different ways. Only thing that worked was option (optimize for unknown)

Slack discussions where over at Brent Ozar’s slack community

1 Like

interesting…i don’t understand that.
in their article comments there is mentioning of recompile problem I agree with, but they do not write that it may not help.

maybe you did not save your execution settings for others?

1 Like

Jose: “Insights was much better this year”. You’re welcome!

1 Like

Hi @Bart_Elia!

2 Likes