Series 1 EpiSode 4: Catch Up Call with Bart Elia

In this EpiSode:

@bderuvo takes a much needed vacation :roll_eyes: and @josecgomez miscounts our episodes (its 4 not 5 :neutral_face:) then, he discusses a rumor going around that Epicor is going to force everyone to go to the cloud by 2024ā€¦(Spoiler Alert) They arenā€™t!

We talk briefly about what parameter sniffing is and what negative and positive consequences it can have on our BAQs. Then we dive into a thoroughly enjoyable conversation with @Bart_Elia former Lead Software Architect at Epicor, now Platform Architect at AMN Healthcare.

Bart and Jose do a bit of a deep dive into the history of Epicor, Bartā€™s tenure at the company and why he left (when opportunity knocksā€¦ you answer it!), the birth of E10, REST and more, while covering relevant topics like architecture design, hardware as code and the cloud.

Sources Cited:

Also Available in the following platforms:
image image image image image image google_podcasts

Thanks to everyone who made this episode possible:

Hosts: @josecgomez , @bderuvo ā† Lies he was on Vacation :unamused:
Producer: @Banderson
Video Editor: @jgiese.wci ā† At long Last! @Bart_Elia almost changed jobs again between recording and video editing :joy:
Music by: @Chris_Conn
Sampled Music for Outro Track by: The Passion HiFi
Graphic Design / Concept by: @hkeric.wci
Guest: @Bart_Elia

@John_Mitchell for the guest suggestion! (see we do listen :wink: )

We hope you all enjoy the episode and let us know below your thoughts. If you have any questions youā€™d like answered by either us, or someone at Epicor in a future episode please send us a PM or an email directly to podcasts@epiusers.help and we will do everything we can to get you an answer.

We are looking for suggestions on additional guests we can have on the podcast so please send suggestions for that too.

9 Likes

Episode 4 not 5, counting is hard for @josecgomez even if he does have a full set of digits on his hand. We should have named it episode 5 and Episode 4 is the ā€œlost episodeā€. An air of mystery around it. Thanks @Bart_Elia for participating!

2 Likes

He has you guys to do the counting for him, so why worry the little things. :joy: :joy:

Youā€™d think Johnā€¦but no less than 5 of them saw the video before it was posted and ā€œvettedā€ it and not a one noticed I said 5 instead of 4 until it was all edited and rendered. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Thatā€™s hilarious

And this was after you already had me edit out your swear words, re-title, replace the hook and re-render a second time! Tail wagginā€™ the dog

1 Like

hey meow the behind the scenes drama is for patreons only :rofl: or for the holiday special #KeepUp!

1 Like

That would go down like this

2 Likes

As long as you play Jar Jar iā€™m game

1 Like

IDK, Iā€™ve seen him count in binary with those digits. :person_shrugging:

:point_up:
:crossed_fingers:
:fu:

^^^ Thereā€™s your episode 4.

@Bart_Elia. we still need to print these shirts.

2 Likes

Thanks @josecgomez for remembering my name, happy to catch up. I hope the community is well!

2 Likes

DevOps is definitely a part of the conversation and a solid plank in the platform. Many aspects build the IT ecosystem and ignoring one or unbalancing some over others will lead to loss of velocity or outright failure.

2 Likes

For anyone who wants more History on Epicorā€™s Early Days.

Conversation with Epicorā€™s Bart Elia 2007

Conversation with Epicorā€™s Erik Johnson 2008

1 Like

Great episode! Definitely not enough OpenVMS and Windows on Alpha stories though!!

3 Likes

Lol hey itā€™s what my first mcse was on. Alpha NT 3.1 or some gawd awful early tech. Fun days when you used to have to buy your ip network driver for windows desktops

1 Like

@Bart_Elia you havenā€™t aged in 15 years, that or itā€™s the film fidelity, weā€™ll go with the former :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do not miss those days of being locked in a windowless room all week from 7am to 8pm talking to Microsoft product leads trying to point out gaps in whatever design review we were doing and then just as I am ready to escape for the four hour drive home they stick a camera in your face.
The early patten and practices ones are all proofed. Too bad, those were good times.

1 Like

Trumpet WinSock

1 Like