Solution Workbench and the nasty read only function library

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, the function library served a very useful function (pun intended). Except the solution workbench was fearful of the little function libraries gaining too much control. At first, the solution workbench (sw for short) simply ignored the little function libraries and wouldn’t help with the migration.

However, Wanda the good witch in this story, ask for and was granted access to allow function libraries to participate in a Solution, thus the little guys could be migrated from one environment to another. Wanda was beaming with pride when the big bad software company enable this Functionality.

Only to have her dreams crushed when she learned sw still had fear is his heart. True, he did include the function library in the solution; however, he slapped a permanent “Read Only” label in the new environment. While Wanda thought at first, “not so bad”, no one should be modifying functions in the production environment anyway.

Wanda began to wonder what would happen in the windy future when Sys Ops copied the production environment over to the Pilot / Development environment. Hmmm, her heart would be crushed again as she would have to figure out how to delete the library and re add it in order to make modifications.

Oh, big bad software company, please tell me it isn’t so and that Wanda didn’t build the solution correctly. That there are indeed ways to modify the functions after being migrated? Maybe there is a fix? Maybe there is an alternate reality of moving back to not including function libraries in the solution.

Well, what would you do if your mother asked you?

1 Like

You set that when you export the function.

1 Like

Beautiful tale Steve.

So the only way then is to export it and not use the solution workbench?

3 Likes

Sorry, I meant build the solution.

1 Like

I’ll give it a test - thank you!

1 Like

Hmm… not quite there. But I believe it is because it is already read only in the target environment.

[7/8/2022 1:43:00 PM] Import cannot replace installed library
[7/8/2022 1:43:00 PM] Import cancelled or failed for ‘FL0002_03fa07ab934a4685ae9aad0e016ddb6c’.
[7/8/2022 1:43:00 PM] Import cannot replace installed library
[7/8/2022 1:43:00 PM] Import cancelled or failed for ‘FL0015_3a47fbf7753a42d3b7ddaebc01464fbd’.
[7/8/2022 1:43:00 PM] Finished importing definitions.
[7/8/2022 1:43:00 PM] Finished the import of data definitions.

Going to delete both libraries and try reimporting…

Wanda put her thinking cap on and realized she had previous imported the function libraries before having Sir Brandon’s gallant solution, thus her libraries were already “read only”. Thinking fast on her feet, unusual for Wanda, she deleted the function libraries, applied the gallant solution and reimported the solution. All ended well as logs don’t lie:

[7/8/2022 1:51:09 PM] Import was successful for ‘FL0002_03fa07ab934a4685ae9aad0e016ddb6c’.
[7/8/2022 1:51:10 PM] Import was successful for ‘FL0015_3a47fbf7753a42d3b7ddaebc01464fbd’.

So Wanda the wacky which lived happily ever after… uhhh… well at least until Monday morning around 7:30 am.

5 Likes